Recommendations on Canadian Pipelines

Discussion in 'Penny Stocks' started by JadeDoo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JadeDoo

JadeDoo Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy an Canadian Pipeline stock, they seem a bit pricey atm they been going up like a straight line for a couple of years. Has anyone looked into them and prefer any over the others?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

3. JadeDoo

Doesn't seems he has any Canadian Pipelines. And why you say Tom Styer buying Obama admin off?

4. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

Oh Obama.. ha ha. Has there ever been a shadier president? It has been a sad 6 years here in the states. I cringe at his every move.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The cynical realist in me is guessing it probably is or will be a newer holding(s) that he hasn't disclosed yet. That website hasn't shown any disclosures from Q1 2014, and we may not see any such holdings purchased until late Q3 or early Q4 or so, which means they won't be disclosed until AFTER the election. Or it could be a massive short position against companies who would benefit from Keystone. Bigwigs with $150 mil or more DON'T have to disclose short positions.

Of course he could be offering the $100 million out of some sort of genuine concern for the environment, but I'm skeptical. Especially since studies have shown repeatedly that the pipeline won't harm the environment, and is a safer transportation method than by railroad or big trucks or whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/01/u...y-to-approval-of-keystone-pipeline.html?_r=0#

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...says-100-million-might-not-be-enough-in-2014/

I'm convinced there's a motive - there always is when big bucks are at stake.

6. JadeDoo

It's hard for Obama to make a decision without making someone unhappy. It's the environmentalist and the natives that are really opposed. Sometimes, facts don't convince people; the idea of pipeline just scares people that haven't looked into it much.

How I see it is that we as a society has decided we are going to use natural gas to heat our homes, buildings and etc. We either move it using pipelines or trains. Pipelines are more efficiently and likely not significantly environmentally unfriendly compared to trains especially if done correctly it might be even better. So if you against the pipeline your either against further integrated trade between the US or Canada or using Natural Gas in general.

7. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

I'm up in Canada and there has been all sorts of pipeline talk beyond just the scope of Keystone. I know our Prime Minister is determined to have it built, whereas Obama clearly doesn't view it as a priority. Realistically, I can't imagine too many people currently view it as a the project will follow through, at least any time soon, and I like to imagine that's mostly reflected in the price.

This may create opportunities elsewhere as I know there are various plans for pipelines between Alberta to British Columbia which would export to Asia. That said, Russia and China are cozying up together as of late so there's some mixed concerns about how that could influence Canadian exports.

As for me, I'm invested in a company called Badger Daylighting which has treated me well over the past year. They don't build the pipelines per-se, but do provide services relevant to its construction. While they're homegrown in Canada they have been expanding to the US as well.
    http://badgerinc.com/our-services/hydrovac-excavation/oil-gas/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014