Red Cross head says Ebola travel bans 'irrational'

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Oct 22, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

According to Elhaj As Sy, Secretary General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the idea of travel bans due to Ebola fears are not helpful but "irrational." So far the disease has killed more than 4,500 people in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia. He went further to explain that the idea of travel bans creates an atmosphere of heighten fear and paranoia that will not alleviate the existence of Ebola. According to the World Health Organization, there could be a possibility of 5,000 - 10,000 new Ebola cases by December if more help isn't done to stop the spread of Ebola. Some health experts have stated such travel bans could have severe economic consequences and could destabilize some of these regions in the countries affected. You can read more about the store here.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't know if I agree with them. I think it's a good idea to keep individuals who are from countries where Ebola is a common place occurrence should be kept out. Other countries have taken those steps, I don't see why we shouldn't as well. I think we need to implement that policy as soon as possible. I'm all for us sending over help to Africa, but those that go over need to stay over there for an extended period of time so they don't bring it back over here

3. ally79

ally79 Guest

I think that it is irrational of him to say that. The only way to put a stop to the epidemic is to control the spread. That can't be done if people who have been exposed in affected countries are traveling all over the world.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Its sort of a debbie downer on my side, i was in the process of preparing my documents and everything for an expatriate job {in a middle eastern country}that i was so zealed about, now am being told, due to the Ebola travel ban, i have to wait it out till further notice and am just wondering...how far is further notice? :(...beats me!

5. jason

jason Guest

At first I agreed that travel restriction seemed too drastic. I still lean toward that opinion but as more news reports pop up I wonder how things are going to come under control.

6. jdroc

jdroc Guest

If disease has the potential to spread like the experts say, then what the hell is the red cross talking about?

7. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I have to agree with the Red Cross observation as well. Banning travel is not a sure way of getting rid of Ebola. Education the masses how to handle this dreaded diseases is the way forward. Infected persons will not be afraid to seek medical care as soon as possible because they will not panic when they experience symptoms of Ebola.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I think that precautions should be made, but irrational fears should not exist as well, we cannot stop living our lives without a fundamental reason.

9. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I have to disagree on this one, if travel helps the disease spread, then we must do all we can to restrict that contamination.
    I see how restricting air travel can be a huge nuisance, but it's a necessary evil to contain Ebola.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Massive hysteria is what is happening and this is not helping the situation at all...but still with all the viruses coming from hell's underbelly...i shouldn't be to quick to judge...i mean, mers coronavirus, chagas disease, influenza, enterovirus, chikungunya just to name but a few...then we got rats running helter skelter in NYC's Subway...think hanta virus and many others...the world is in steep trouble here! :confused: