Red Cross head says Ebola travel bans 'irrational'

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Oct 22, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

It's just a necessary, common sense step that we need to take. Other countries have already done this. Not sure why we are being irrationally stubborn and refusing to do the same thing. Much in the way we should revoke the pass ports of American citizens who take up arms against us in a terrorist organization like ISIS, which we are also refusing to do. It's common sense measures that can really help us out.

2. Containment is the key to eradication. The Reagan Administration turned its head when it come to AIDS, and they did not care until it seeped into the mainstream public. The only way to deal with this type of contaminant is to contain it. We have all seen hundreds of movies where viruses/diseases get out of control. The horrifying thing is, that it is not necessarily fiction. If this person truly believes what he is saying, he should be removed from office immediately. I also think the US sending its troops to help is wrong, and very dangerous. What is going to happen with those service members return to their families? The situation does not shock me at all. I worked in one of the USPS facilities that tested positive for Anthrax. After closing us down and then hearing a lecture from our Congressman that it was safe for us to be in the building, we soon learned the FBI cleaned the wrong machine and we needed to be closed again. This is just one example how the government is inept and will never be able to truly solve any problems.

3. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08 Guest

I agree. They should shop international traveling until they find some cure for Ebola and find a way to keep in under control. Certain precautions should have been taken with all travelers as they leave or enter countries. There is know telling how many other new diseases will become visible to the US if they do not do something about it.

4. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Shop internation traveling? You mean stop? Why, if the red cross itself it's saying it's irrational I don't see any reason for it.

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

With this ban and all that is happening, i feel as if am hanging out on a limb here, suddenly all my plans have stalled and no one is saying anything even a ray of hope might just help, now am stuck in silence....just sad, yet annoying!

6. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

So everything should be on hold until a disease is cured?
    Can you imagine is we succumbed to this sort of panic?
    There are hundreds of thousands of people flying every day, while the numbers of people with Ebola is much much lower.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

No, we need to continue to live our lives, we can't put everything on hold, we just take the necessary precautions though.

8. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

Putting an airport travel ban will only make things worse. At the airports, you can control who goes in and out. If you put a travel ban you run the risk of these travelers sneaking onto ships, crossing over the border to non-Ebola countries, and then making their way to the United States. No one would be watching those people and they could potentially be spreading it to a much larger area and population. Only five airports are allowing flights from West Africa, so that's only five points of entry. If someone from West Africa travels to, say, South Africa, the Middle East, or Europe then they can fly to any of the 400 other international airports in the United States. And they're not looking nor or they equipped to handle the Ebola screening process.

Putting a travel ban would cause much more panic in those affected countries and more people would want to flee. Not to mention, no additional health care workers would be able to enter the country to combat the spread. And this is what we need: more people to contain it at the source. A travel ban would also affect the local economies. The already-strained health care infrastructure would collapse and further the spread of the disease. What I believe they should be require instead is a self-quarantine individuals who are coming back to the United States. Health care workers who have been working with Ebola patients need to stay isolated for eight to ten days before traveling (the incubation period). If symptoms don't occur during that time period then that person does not have the virus and would be ok to travel.

Education is paramount. You will not get Ebola unless you have come into contact with the bodily fluids of someone was symptomatic with Ebola. You are 10,000x more likely to get heart disease, the flu, etc. The only way to stop the spread of this, or any disease, is at the source. Putting a travel ban on West Africa will only make it worse and there would be an influx of harder-to-monitor non airport travel.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Stopping all international travel isn't very rational, sensible or workable. That would cause a tidal wave of trouble for millions of people. As tons of people travel to America on a daily basis from abroad. Both American citizens and people just visiting the country or coming here to immigrate. It doesn't look like a travel ban from Ebola infected countries is going to happen here in America.

10. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

I just hope that Ebola can be contained soon enough, people are speculating a lot about it and that isn't healthy at all, soon enough ignorant fear will spread all over the globe.