Religion vs Violence

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There's no denying that until fairly recently only followers of Eastern religions hadn't been involved in religious violence. That changed however when Burmese monks attacked Muslims.

Fact though is many religions don't preach violence. Christianity for example teaches love so anyone fighting in the name of Christianity isn't really a Christian.

Why do you think people have to fight, at times even murder in the name of their religion even if their holy writs don't allow them to do so? Do they expect greater rewards afterwards?

2. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

no, not for rewards after death. Simple Question, How do you feel, If you become minority in your own country ? What will happen with your family after that ? How do you feel, If somebody deported you and your family from your own country ? such many questions create fear inside their mind. This fear turns into violence.

In 1947, India-Pakistan division happened, Hindu-Muslim Riots started, My Hindu neighbor's grandfather saved his Muslim friends and in another part of India. some Muslims saved their Hindu friends. some people were busy in killing, some people were busy in saving.

Everybody love culture of his country and If somebody comes and threatens, you can't do this. create questions on traditions, Rituals etc. insult them,start proving my religion is true and yours false. then what you can expect ?

In my country 3000+ religions, If 1 religion tried to claim, we are right and you are wrong other 2999+ religions can't tolerate that. India is a colorful country and we love colors more than religion, maybe different individual beliefs, different Rituals, some superstitions etc. sometimes we fears, these colors must not disappear because of 1 religion.

If in world, people start respecting education, science more than religion, many good things possible. Religion is 1 Ideology, It never can get perfect. only GOD is perfect. Ideology comes out from mind and God rules over mind, so, Religion can be a way to reach near god, but it can't be destiny of human. but, when religion become destiny because of ego factor, It looks like evil and violent. there are infinite ways to reach near god . You achieved ultimate goal is more important than how you achieved and who truly love God, he will achieve that by any way. everybody have right to find his own way. so no point in imposing religion on anybody.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Right or not, religion can bring out the fight in people depending on how strong their faith is, and I think a lot of the time they will fool themselves into thinking they're fighting FOR their religion, and not actually realise what they're doing stands against what they're actually supposed to believe in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I also have read that Muslims in Myanmar (Burma) are being ostracized and forced to leave. There's also a Muslim minority in China called Uyghurs are also being discriminated. But the Islamic jihadists have turned terrorists for their obsession in their religion. I have read many times in social media the pronouncement of Muslims to behead the infidels, maybe pertaining to non-believers of Q'ran. Worse, there is the rivalry of Sunni and Shiite Muslims that is causing a rift between Iran and Saudi Arabia that may lead to a war.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

@manoharb, your views are point on. Ego and fear. That's what's behind all conflicts in the world. People hate and terrified of something they don't understand. And since they can't accept they think there's only way to deal with it — destroy it using any means. This is probably the reason why neither education nor science will enlighten people and get them to stop murdering each other. The religious community is anti-science, and they are against everything that goes against what they believe. And in future I think religions might unite against atheism and at that time numerous people will be murdered.

6. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I'm thinking that the attack that Burmese monks did to Muslims could somehow be related to the connection of the Muslim religion to the extremist group ISIS. There are some people who could generalize all Muslims to be part of terrorist groups because of the way terrorist groups usually use their religion as a way to vindicate their actions. Although the peace loving Muslims claim that they don't have anything to do with any terrorist group, I guess the social stigma has slowly become a part of their religion.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7 Guest

In many instances, people don't practice what they preach, they practice what they would like to impose. Many of them, even though they may be preaching love and compassion, don't react kindly to persons who may have condescending views, hence they resort to conflict to appease themselves.
    The war involving the "Crusaders" during Medieval times, where they went around persecuting people whose religious beliefs was not aligned with theirs, is a good example of religious intolerance.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Guest

In many instances, people don't practice what they preach, they practice what they would like to impose. Many of them, even though they may be preaching love and compassion, don't react kindly to persons who may have condescending views, hence they resort to conflict to appease themselves.
    The war involving the "Crusaders" during Medieval times, where they went around persecuting people whose religious beliefs was not aligned with theirs, is a good example of religious intolerance.

9. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Religious community is not anti-science, 1 scientists also follow some traditions, rituals of his religion. that's the way to live in society. You can't erase your past.You are staying in 1 apartment and you don't knew, who is your neighbor. that's not good thing. Festivals are social functions. everybody celebrate by his own way.
    My point is, Give importance to religion it deserve, never consider religion as your destiny.

about your point, yes, religions might unite against atheism and reason behind that will be Ego and Fear. If tomorrow, everything machines will do. of course, It will hurt human inside somewhere. human can't sit on 1 place and just push button of machine and relax for long time. he have body and mind, very few people will seek path of knowledge, because, that's hard way and most people will seek path of religious terrorism, because, that's easy way. who will seek path of knowledge, they will take care of science and who will seek path of religious terrorism, they will balance science and religion somewhere. 'Science' word looks better with word 'Moral people'. but, if immoral people are using science too, then scientific growth will stop somewhere . I believe, If science grew up too much, but, If human didn't grew up morally. then, science have to show some correction. If moral people increased, but science didn't grew up, then it can turn that society in superstitious world or religious terrorism. both have same importance, human must have same respect for science and morals both.

10. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

While religions as an organized system of belief may not, in and of themselves, preach violence, I think it is folly to say that the foundational texts of those religions don't contain passages within them that could be interpreted as calling for violence. What makes religion particularly dangerous is the righteous element motivating the bloodshed; if your holy book or your deity is guiding your sword, it is far easier to justify.