Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MalorieJX, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MalorieJX

MalorieJX Well-Known Member

Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

My mind set is close to Daniel Dennett as far as what religious people / theist should become after they grow up.

Personally, I like a lot of the social functions and appeasement of our need for fellowship, hivishness and tribalism offered by religious institutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5tGpMcFF7U

So I do not want to kill all religions but just encourage them to be more moral, tolerant and give equality to women and gays.

Having said the above, People and recent trends to read scriptures literally have cause many to forget that religions were invented as theatre and myth and were never meant to be read or taken literally.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

As you can see from the following, religions and temples have always been about entertainment and fellowship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7BHvN6rZZA

If we could return to the old way of seeking God instead of idol worshiping false Gods, perhaps jihadists and other fundamental believers might chill and get along the way they have at some points in our history.

Religions are fairy tales for adults. If this is a truth, we should encourage religions to grow up and return to their better past of seeking God stead of idol worshiping Yahweh and Allah, both mythical and manmade Gods.

2. Amin

Amin Guest

When you grow up with religious parents and enviorment it's hard to go the other way since most religions have little tolerance for non believers. I usually leave alone my religious friends because I don't want them to face the problems I did when I was deciding not to follow Islam and besides, why would you do this to them, they live in a small perfect world and I personally don't want to ruin this for them by encouraging atheism. Instead, I try to get them to learn respect my beliefs or anyone's like I respect their's, I think this is much better... Letting each other be.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well some people seem to need religion in their life and actually it can be a gift. I often wish I did believe because it would make life a lot easier. I am not going to pretend to be something I am not however, in order to have a comfortable way of life. That being said I don't disbelive religion. I just think that we can not depend on it to save us from ourselves or the random chaos that is sometimes involved in life.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Saying that religions are fairy tales is a matter of opinion, millions don't agree with it. When something cannot be proved to the mind or reason it doesn't mean it's not true, just that we cannot see it. ;)

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Religion is no fairy tale as most people find out when they die. Those who have never had an encounter with the paranormal will doubt that such things happen but they do and more frequently that you would imagine.
    Trying to convince skeptics otherwise never is of much value because they believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/harvard-neurosurgeon-confirms-the-afterlife-exists/
    The afterlife is something that has been experienced by countless people since recorded history who have returned to tell their tales, with the most noteworthy account experienced first-hand by Harvard trained brain neurosurgeon of 25 years, Dr. Eben Alexander. This is not just another afterlife account that can be written off as a hallucination.

6. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

How about just live and let live provided no one is violating another's rights? I was religious, but am not any more, so can see both sides. I have close to zero interest in it now, but see no need to "proselytize" that position. If someone else finds meaning, inspiration, community, etc., in a religion, more power to them. Provided, of course, they don't infringe on my rights or anyone else's.

7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

As another user mentioned, a lot of people are not going to agree with the fairy tales thing, there are millions of people who believe in those fairy tales, and I also don't think that they should die but some of them have this really radical and crazy ideas about their beliefs and they start to offending and harming innocent people such as kids, women and LGBTQ community which is not fair. If I could change something about religion in general it would probably be this radical people.

8. blive1

blive1 New Member

Professing themselves to be wise, people have come to show how really foolish they are. The God who has revealed Himself in the Bible created mankind in His image. Man has no starting point on his own, no significance and no hope for the future. He jumps to the heights of arrogance by saying their is no God. He comes up with theories such as evolution in an attempt to explain away God, thinking that excuses him from being accountable to God. Even true science eventually shows how foolish man can be in this regard. Even once leading evolutionists have had to acknowledge that DNA, and other findings destroy that theory. The so called missing links that appeared in science books, though long debunked, still show up in some textbooks as if proven true simply because they don't have any other explanations and again, arrogantly assert there is no God. Those who take the time to read the Bible with an open mind, find an alternative to the foolishness of men, namely the wisdom, purposes and love of a Creator who has spoken to us not only in His Word, but in Jesus Christ. Many people have tried, but none have proven the Bible to be anything but authentic and accurate. God gives us the choice to acknowledge Him and experience His love and have a purpose for our lives which transcends time, the here and now. That's what love does, gives others the freedom to choose. Life is preparation for eternity. We can only take our soul, including our character with us. God wanted a family to be with Him for all eternity. And He has shown us how much He loves us by sending Jesus to reveal Himself to us, and to die upon a cross to pay the penalty for our sins, so we can be forgiven and fellowship with a holy God. The crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus are some of the most documented events of history, that only one not open to the truth will deny. God will not deny us our free will to truly check out His claims and promises and make an informed decision. Only a fool says there is no God without checking out all the evidence. Those who use the breath and minds God gives us to check Him out will find, as I and millions of other people have, that every prophecy about Jesus written centuries before He came, came true exactly as stated, a mathematical impossibility to occur without God. They will discover the peace He gives those who put their trust in Him. With eternity on the line, the most important matter I person can pursue is why am I here on planet earth and what happens to my spirit, my innermost being, when it leaves this temporary body for an eternal one. God invites you to honestly and fairly check Him out. Millions have done so and are glad they did. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John Newton, a once slave trader who came to faith in Jesus and his life changed dramatically wrote the song, Amazing Grace. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see." Jesus came to give us a new life, an inseparable relationship with God. He did not come to give us religion, but a relationship. That is why His message is called the gospel, or Good News. You have everything to gain.

9. blive1

blive1 New Member

Professing themselves to be wise, people have come to show how really foolish they are. The God who has revealed Himself in the Bible created mankind in His image. Man has no starting point on his own, no significance and no hope for the future. He jumps to the heights of arrogance by saying there is no God. He comes up with theories such as evolution in an attempt to explain away God, thinking that excuses him from being accountable to God. Even true science eventually shows how foolish man can be in this regard. Once leading evolutionists have had to acknowledge that DNA, and other findings destroy that theory. The so called missing links that appeared in science books, though long debunked, still show up in some textbooks as if proven true simply because they don't have any other explanations and again, arrogantly assert there is no God. Those who take the time to read the Bible with an open mind, find an alternative to the foolishness of men, namely the wisdom, purposes and love of a Creator who has spoken to us not only in His Word, but in Jesus Christ. Many people have tried, but none have proven the Bible to be anything but authentic and accurate. God gives us the choice to acknowledge Him and experience His love and have a purpose for our lives which transcends time, the here and now. That's what love does, gives others the freedom to choose. Life is preparation for eternity. We can only take our soul, including our character with us. God wanted a family to be with Him for all eternity. And He has shown us how much He loves us by sending Jesus to reveal Himself to us, and to die upon a cross to pay the penalty for our sins, so we can be forgiven and fellowship with a holy God. The crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus are some of the most documented events of history, that only one not open to the truth will deny. God will not deny us our free will to truly check out His claims and promises and make an informed decision. Only a fool says there is no God without checking out all the evidence. Those who use the breath and minds God gives us to check Him out will find, as I and millions of other people have, that every prophecy about Jesus written centuries before He came, came true exactly as stated, a mathematical impossibility to occur without God. They will discover the peace He gives those who put their trust in Him. With eternity on the line, the most important matter a person can pursue is why am I here on planet earth and what happens to my spirit, my innermost being, when it leaves this temporary body for an eternal one. God invites you to honestly and fairly check Him out. Millions have done so and are glad they did. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John Newton, a once slave trader who came to faith in Jesus and his life changed dramatically wrote the song, Amazing Grace. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see." Jesus came to give us a new life, an inseparable relationship with God. He did not come to give us religion, but a relationship. That is why His message is called the gospel, or Good News. You have everything to gain.

10. blive1

blive1 New Member

Professing themselves to be wise, people have come to show how really foolish they are. The God who has revealed Himself in the Bible created mankind in His image. Man has no starting point on his own, no significance and no hope for the future. He jumps to the heights of arrogance by saying there is no God. He comes up with theories such as evolution in an attempt to explain away God, thinking that excuses him from being accountable to God. Even true science eventually shows how foolish man can be in this regard. Once leading evolutionists have had to acknowledge that DNA, and other findings destroy that theory. The so called missing links that appeared in science books, though long debunked, still show up in some textbooks as if proven true simply because they don't have any other explanations and again, arrogantly assert there is no God. Those who take the time to read the Bible with an open mind, find an alternative to the foolishness of men, namely the wisdom, purposes and love of a Creator who has spoken to us not only in His Word, but in Jesus Christ.

Many people have tried, but none have proven the Bible to be anything but authentic and accurate. God gives us the choice to acknowledge Him and experience His love and have a purpose for our lives which transcends time, the here and now. That's what love does, gives others the freedom to choose. Life is preparation for eternity. We can only take our soul, including our character with us. God wanted a family to be with Him for all eternity. And He has shown us how much He loves us by sending Jesus to reveal Himself to us, and to die upon a cross to pay the penalty for our sins, so we can be forgiven and fellowship with a holy God. The crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus are some of the most documented events of history, that only one not open to the truth will deny. God will not deny us our free will to truly check out His claims and promises and make an informed decision. Only a fool says there is no God without checking out all the evidence. Those who use the breath and minds God gives us to check Him out will find, as I and millions of other people have, that every prophecy about Jesus written centuries before He came, came true exactly as stated, a mathematical impossibility to occur without God. They will discover the peace He gives those who put their trust in Him. With eternity on the line, the most important matter a person can pursue is why am I here on planet earth and what happens to my spirit, my innermost being, when it leaves this temporary body for an eternal one. God invites you to honestly and fairly check Him out. Millions have done so and are glad they did. "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John Newton, a once slave trader who came to faith in Jesus and his life changed dramatically wrote the song, Amazing Grace. "Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now I see." Jesus came to give us a new life, an inseparable relationship with God. He did not come to give us religion, but a relationship. That is why His message is called the gospel, or Good News. You have everything to gain.