Rent to own homes

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Rosyrain, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I find your post somewhat confusing, so your friend is using Ebay to pay the rent?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think these days every first time buyer is going to need help, I'm just not 100% sure that a rent to buy scheme is the best choice for them.

If banks or the government really wanted to help then surely they would come up with alternative methods, like low cost housing loans or other services like that?

3. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

You don't really need a lawyer for this. The first thing you should do is go on the county website (of the county where the house resides) and do a parcel search. This is free, public information. It will tell you who the owner of the house is that is on that parcel of land. If the name of the owner on that website is the same name of the person who is willing to rent to you, you're good.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the best way, making loans affordable, but if loans were indeed affordable most likely other alternatives would not exist.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I know someone who had a home who had a tenant in there who became behind on the rent. He had to evict them eventually. It was a difficult situation because he was not living in the area at the time. He had a realtor help him with the next tenant who had a very good job, and credit history. He is hoping for a better situation this time around, because the last one was so stressful. I am not sure why he doesn't just sell this property...I guess he thinks he is making more money on the rent to own property...but if he isn't always getting paid, I don't see how this can be the case.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I think it would make more sense to sell then to rent a property. When you rent it you are responsible for the up keep of it, a long with the maintenance and property taxes. I can't see how you would be making a whole lot of money and it would be so much more stressful. People get behind with the rent and you lose money by the time you get them evicted and a new tenant it. If there was damage done you have to fix that before new tenants can move it. I just don't see how holding on to a house can make you much money. It is one thing it have an apartment building but a house is only one rent and a lot of expenses on the home owners part.