Republicans cave on avoiding government shutdown, 2-year budget carries beyond election.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Oct 26, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/us/politics/congress-and-white-house-near-deal-on-budget.html

Heaven forbid the government shuts down. Perish the thought. Obama has saved all this money, and has the budget under control. Why do we need to raise the debt ceiling? The current crop of Republicans are agreeing to a two-year budget deal that clears the path for new Speaker Paul Ryan to avoid a bruising budget battle and effectively takes government spending off the table as a 2016 campaign issue. What a frigging joke. Status quo, everyone covers their <fill in the blank>. No streamling or thinning government bureaucracy. No dealing with the $18T national debt, the persistent unemployment and under-employment, the burgeoning welfare system, the bifurcated household income, the tepid economic "recovery", national security, the weakened military and the lack of respect for the USA in the world theater. Really disgusting behavior. Without facing these and like issues, I have the distinct impression that those in politics think the citizenry are too stupid to seems to understand the issues facing this country. So long as the handouts continue, what difference does it matter? By unwilling to face the budget control issues and the societal issues, the "conservative" Republicans may well have handed the country over to ruination with another 4/8 years of an Alinsky-Cloward-Piven progressive. I don't know whether I should build a bunker, dig fixholes, or run screaming into the woods. Aŕrgh!

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't mind this deal. I think the Republicans are just being smart about the next presidential election. Entitlements are the main drivers of the debt, especially long term. They're not going to be fixed unless the next president is a Republican. Being blamed for a government shutdown isn't the way to win public favor and advance your agenda, smartly. Republicans are usually blamed in polls when government shutdowns occur. Never helps them out.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It seems many know they need to look good in the public eye and many will remember what happened a couple of years ago. Many people suffered with pay and their place of work being closed and not being paid either. That was the Republicans fault then, they admit it and that action didn't help anyone so they have learned this time. Back then they wanted to make life as difficult for the President and instead they alienated the public, especially those who didn't understand the implications until too late. I do feel many are concerned about their political profiles and careers and why they voted for it.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Moron McConnell completely took the "shutdown" option off the table when he became Majority "leader". He was also stupid enough to take off the nuclear option Dirty Harry had put into place when the Dems were still the majority.

If the Repubs were anywhere near as good as the Dems at spinning and manipulating the media and the populace, they'd repeatedly point out day and night on any MSM network that would have any of them on that it's actually Obama shutting things down by vetoing their proposals. And conservative superpacs should be airing these things on all MSM stations that would take their money.

They don't need to waste much of their time and money preaching to the Fox choir - they need to be trying to convince at least some of the sheep in MSM land that it's not their fault when the dictator shuts everything down because they won't give him everything he wants.

Hell, the admin actually SPENT money during the last "shutdown" by going through the time and trouble to barricade a public veteran's park and other stupidity.

Now they've taken off any hopes of stopping any future exec orders coming from the radical in charge during his last 14 months in office. I'm sure many of them will be appearing on Fox News shows during this remaining time, dumbfounded as to how Obama could get away with this and that. :rolleyes:

6. petesede

petesede Guest

Our budget problems will never be fixed until there are term limits for congress. The ONLY way there will ever be a sustainable balanced budget is if congress, as a whole, is willing to sink their own re-election campaigns. In order to fix the budget, both Reps and Dems would all have to make themselves unreelectable by pissing off all their constitutes, including you and I. The pill is too bitter, the American people would never accept it without wanting to kill congress. Congressmen will never have the balls to do it unless they are lame ducks to begin with.

7. petesede

petesede Guest

I think you need to get a grip. This year the budget deficit will be the lowest in 14 years. We have had 9 years of economic growth despite the fact that Greece, Russia and then China have all taken turns trying to put the world into a recession. The budget deal actually increases defense spending for the next two years and this deal is paid for, so will not raise the debt.

If you wanted the Reps to fight and shut-down the gov´t.. in the end, all you would have ended up with is a similar spending bill but with Reps (and Ryan) looking like they were trying to score political points for the extreme right which would have not played out well during the election. Any shutdown, or any circus would have gotten blamed on the Reps and Ryan.

Reps got increased defense spnding, Dems got increased domestic spending and it all is paid for in a way that further punishes Russia and keeps inflation lower.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Petesede, I don't expect the government to shut down. In light of the upcoming ekections I do expect a reasonable rationale discussion about getting government spending under control and reducing the national debt. I object to the discussion being taken off the table. Kicking the can down the road solves nothing.

Burgeoning bureaucracy within federal agencies is out of control. The economic recovery is bifurcated. We are developing a permanent undercaste subsisting on government handouts. Drugs, crime and civil unrest in the inner cities seems worse than it has been in years. The job participation rate is the lowest in decades. The numbers of persons under-employed due to implentation of government rules and regulations in business and healthcare is frightening.

The current social-engineering IRS tax code, laden with loopholes and special-interest favors, needs to be cleaned out. It is onerous and punitive.

Etcetera and so forth...

9. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well the budget issues are going to be with us for many years that is for sure. We need something radical to help the economy like legalizing marijuana in all the states. That might help, OK, don't get on my case, just an example. I don't see any real resolution to these issues now, or in the future.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

The govt was shut down many times under Carter, Clinton, and Reagan. The Repubs need to quit being so afraid, and learn to be better at communicating to the mindless masses WHY this or that needs to happen or cannot happen.