Resolving Tenant Disputes?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I heard a landlord complain that he is tired of having his tenants call him telling about they can't their neighbors. Each time the neighbors have some sort of altercation once they call the landlord they expect him to come over and resolve the dispute instead of doing that themselves. How often do you think a landlord should try to solve disputes between his tenants. Each month? Once every six months? Or should s/he tell the tenants to solve the conflicts themselves?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I have known a tenant who is quarrelsome. When we were in the apartment, one door was occupied by a big family who are market vendors. They represent the uneducated tenant who would challenge you to a fight when an argument arises. It is a common occurrence with the quarrels of that family with the other apartment occupants. The landlord would just shrug his shoulders because he is used to that. Anyway, there was no physical encounter, just a verbal tussle that is sometimes annoying. We seldom stay outside the apartment so we were able to avoid that quarrelsome tenant.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Personally I think a lot will have to come down to the tenants themselves and only if an when it starts to get out of hand then the landlord should be asked to step in.

Even then I'm not sure there's a lot a landlord can do, as if the tenant in question isn't breaking any rules of their contract, the landlord isn't really in a position to act.

4. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well I would think the landlord would have limited liability. I mean if property damage is involved than the tenants should be prosecuted. I think the landlord could try a time or two to help them work out their differences, but if it is impossible, it is impossible, and up to them to resolve their problems. It is one of the things that that the tenants need to resolve themselves without involving the landlord.

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

We had tenants in our building who would call the landlord about everything. They complained about all the neighbours no matter what they did. They were always complaining about the noise. You couldn't even walk around in your own apartment if they lived below you. They would call the landlord. If you were talking in the hallway on the way to your apartment they would call the landlord. Finally the landlord told them to deal with it themselves. That was a big mistake. They then started to call the police and complain about noise. The police would have to come to every call only to find out there was nothing going on. Eventually the landlord gave them their notice and told them they had to leave. I have no idea where they moved to but I am sure they are making other tenant's lives miserable somewhere else.

6. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

"Each month? Once every six months? Or should s/he tell the tenants to solve the conflicts themselves?" lol, I would go with the latter, because a Landlord should only be concerned about things bringing disputes that are really about the land, and not about the personal lives of the other Tenant. But may be the personal life of the other Tenant could give reason for the dispute, say for example, one Tenant is constantly making noise; parties frequently and a lot of loud music, now that may be ground for calling a Landlord, in any case, the Landlord can be held accountable for such behavior of the unruly Tenant. Other than that, Tenants are grown people and should settle disputes,so far as possible, between themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I have known some tenants who want to get even (with the landlord or with another tenant) that what he does is to complain of invented violations. There's one tenant doing damage to a celebrity here. The actress is named Pokwang and her neighbor (tenant) is harassing her by complaining to the landlord all sorts of invented violations and in the end, nothing comes out of the complaints. But still, the guy complains almost every week.

8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I live in New York City; I can't imagine the pressures of being a landlord here. But--I had a neighbor who played loud, bass-heavy, percussive music for hours and hours, and it was beginning to have an impact on my overall wellbeing. I had written to him and confronted him directly, and texted him numerous times. And it was still an issue. I think in cases like that, a tenant is well within their rights at that point to get the landlord involved, since settling the dispute between the tenants themselves was impossible.

But overall my thing is to solve whatever issue there is between neighbors first, before involving anyone else.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

This case is similar to ours where a neighbor would hold a drinking session right on the road fronting their property. Not to be content, they hold a karaoke singing. It is like having a bar in our street. Truly the noise is bothersome and people in the neighborhood had complained to the local government but nothing was done, no action. I can imagine the disgust if that neighbor of ours would be a tenant, such a big problem.