Retirement plans?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, May 16, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Yeah, we have all cut all unnecessary expenses, but retirement plans? Impossible, the most I can do is vacation plans! :)

2. aceofnoobs

aceofnoobs Member

I would love to have a vacation home somewhere in California in the future, if they don't run out of water by then. I have heard that our generation is doomed, so I can hopefully save enough of my income every month to ensure that I am not doomed. I am from the Pacific Northwest, so the winter months can get pretty miserable at times, but the weather in California during the winter is still quite enjoyable in comparison.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Well now, Gelsemium, the way I see it, vacation plans are very important, too! :D Actually it's time for me to start making some for a few months from now. It's one of my favorite things to do.

Planning for retirement is a very tough thing to do... I'm much more of a short-term person and I know that's going to get me into trouble when it gets close to retirement, but I don't know how to "fix" it. :(

4. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Member

Retirement? Ha! I've got at least thirty years or more until I'll really have to start worrying about that. I guess it's not a bad thing to think about it though. I'd love to be able to travel in my retirement, across the USA and the world. It could be really cool not to have to have one set spot of living for a while, then buy a new house and settle into retirement.

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I am saving some money for my retirement today. I would like to travel the world on an eating safari. I am fascinated by the kind of native foods people eat. I would like to sample some of them and keep a documentary about it. I would like to see how others live; besides life must be lived to the fullest.

6. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

I just finished dreaming up mine. I'm moving to Taiwan and I will be an online trader for the rest of my life. Cost of living for a 3 room furnished house is about $400 bucks a month. Technically I could afford to get the hell out of dodge and go now. It's been on my mind. The only issue is it takes awhile to get a visa.

7. davidj96

davidj96 Member

I cannot wait until the day comes when it's time for me to finally retire. I'll be going into the Marines next summer, and my plan is to stay in for my full twenty years and retire at a young age and still receive half of my base pay each and every month. Since I'll be getting paid, I'd like to travel around the world some more and find a nice country to settle down in.

8. Kael

Kael Guest

I would love to have an apartment on the beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and a house in Montreal, Canada for the family.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Sweet $400 a month sounds cheap and affordable compared to the prices in the states. I am not sure how much apartments are in my area but they are above $400 a month.

10. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member

I would buy a house by the ocean or a lake. In addition, some sport car would be also fantastic so better to start gathering savings.