Return of "last months rent"

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gomer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Try sitting down together and come up with something that is equitable to the both of you. Present your side and listen to what he has to say. If that doesn't work out then you will both have to come up with another strategy. Not having anything in writing makes the whole situation more complicated than it has to be.

2. sanders89

sanders89 Member

Well, doesn't he have a legal obligation to give you 30 days notice? I thought that was the law. I am sorry that is really too bad, when people just ditch out on you like that, and you have to scramble to come up with the money for rent. I hope you were able to solve this problem without any legal charges against each other.

3. thelastsurrealist

thelastsurrealist Guest

I agree with most of the others here. Try to reach a compromise with your tenant so the exchange of money seems to be fair, considering there is no overriding contract. On that note, I'd make an effort to draft up a contract for your next tenant. They are invaluable pieces of paper. While on the surface I'd love to trust everyone who comes through my door, the reality is that a lot of renters are not the best people in the world, and require legal documentations to keep them from suing and attempting to make money off of you.

4. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

You could just tell them that you didn't sign a contract so you don't have to do anything. Just talk to them and come up with an agreement so that you could solve the problem instead of making it worse.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Trying to reach an agreement with him is your only solution here.
    Sure you could keep the money, but at what risk? You don't know whether he has made a copy of the key, and has therefore access to your house and things when you are away for example.

6. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I think Strykstar is right, if it's just a matter of 9 days who cares? You would not want to have troubles with someone that can have a key to your house, that would cost more than changing the lock.

7. JackHark

JackHark Active Member

As everyone has already said, choose the path of least resistance for both of you. A comprise for both of you if you can convince him is what is best.

8. Silver

Silver Active Member

You should prorate because it's the right thing to do. He may have left you in the lurch with the short notice, but you should still do the right thing. Legally, I don't think you have to though.

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

As i read along the lines i understand where i did all the mess, coming up with, informal agreements between the tenant and i, caught on an ugly tussle, written agreements yes, what bliss, they save a lot of heartache and stress, if you can kindly guide on which websites one can get these handy templates, i 'd very much appreciate :)

10. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

This is why you always want things in writing, especially as something as important as a renting contract. It solves all these problems simply as it would be in the contract already. But as others have said, you just want to solve the issue as simply as you can. In my house, we had a big problem with roommate and she moved out almost immediately once she found a person to replace the room. She didn't really give us a chance to talk with the guy, but he turned out to be a good reliable guy so we just let her move out rather than fight it.