Return of "last months rent"

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gomer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

If you have a good relationship with the renter, then you can let them know that you do not have the last month rent in 9 days. They can come for it later on since they did not give you adequate notice. It is very important to have a signed contract when you are dealing with people however friendly they are.

2. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Agreed with Muthoni. ALWAYS make sure you sign a contract. Never just an informal deal even with outside your immediate family.

3. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

That's right, even with friends and extended family I always recommend signing a contract because you never know what will happen and sometimes people have fallings off, especially when it comes to money.

4. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Business is business, friend are friends, this is a cliché, but it is the truth and we should know that for our own benefit.

5. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

In all honesty the moral thing to do would be to return the money, especially if he has already paid for that month and was a good tennant. That being said, since there is no contract you don't have to if you so chose to be that way. Maybe you should just pay him back part of the money or make it clear that he can stay one more month for free but to not expect a refund. I guess it all depends on how your relationship with the boarder is. If it was me I would return the money to him if it was possible.

6. jason

jason Guest

This is a sticky situation because there was no contract, as others have said. Usually you give 2 weeks to 30 days notice of leaving. You shouldn't be pressured into finding a new renter in only 9 days. Perhaps you could prorate the days for next month until you find a new renter. Once you find one you can refund the remainder. If I left an apartment with only 9 days notice I wouldn't expect my full deposit back.