Rubio's Quayle Moment?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by JR Ewing, Feb 8, 2016.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

[video=youtube;vGWPo7GqA6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWPo7GqA6w[/video]

This is gonna hurt.

After Christie had been calling him "bubble boy" all week, he should have been prepared. Christie's record gives one plenty of material for zingers to fire back at him, but apparently Rubio was caught like a deer in headlights.

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I'm not a fan of Rubio for a few reasons, but he got torched in the last debate. The dust up between Christie, in particular, was brutal. He didn't help himself by proving Christie's exact point. Agreed, that had to leave a mark. ;)

3. petesede

petesede Guest

the sad thing about it was that even after Christie specifically slammed him for using that line, Rubio still used it two more times again.

It played out very similar to an episode of the West Wing where Bartlet won a debate by pointing out that his opponent was giving 10 word answers to everything. I think the Bubble Boy nickname is going to stick, but I think Christie will go gone by 10pm tomorrow night. He is looking at a 5th place finish in the only state where he had a chance.

4. JR Ewing

I like Rubio overall, and aside from his past immigration screwup, he was one of my favorite candidates. He has seemed to me to be the face of the future of the Republican party.

But his bizarre and ill-prepared reaction (or lack thereof) to Christie's insult was like an epiphany of sorts to many. It was like a fierce young prizefighter stepping into the ring with a physically inferior has-been club fighter, and the younger, leaner, and faster prizefighter dropping his guard and stepping right into a punch and getting KO'd.

Suddenly I saw a Republican version of the young, inexperienced, ill-prepared first term senator who was elected in 2008. If only someone running in 2008 on either side had the guts to go after Obama like this and not worry about being called "racist", it just may have spared us all from 8 years of the worst president in history.

5. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Rubio should have learnt something from Ed Miliband, the Labour leader in Britain, who did the exact same thing in an interview a few years back. He was also duly punished when election day came around.

Here's the video. It's actually pretty funny:

[video=youtube;mCV5XWiW6gc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCV5XWiW6gc[/video]

6. JR Ewing

I would have expected Rubio to call out Christie on his past views on gun control, his bridge scandal, on his past praise and support of liberal politicians and supreme court justices, on his hugging and kissing all over Obama just before the 2012 election because he was butt-hurt at Romney passing him over for VP, etc. Plenty of low-hanging fruit.

The timing of this is more than a little "strange": http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/hil...istie-hug-new-hampshire/2016/02/08/id/713340/

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't know if I would define it as a Quayle moment, but it was definitely a big blunder for him. He had a chance to really consolidate the establishment lane of the Republican primary. He was on the verge of having a strong 2nd place showing and effectively knocking Bush, Kasich, and Christie out of the race. Instead, only Christie dropped. And Rubio is going to have to continue to battle Kasich and Bush for at least a couple more states. He'll have to reassure the big donors he's up to the task.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

I think his moment is gone. His claim to fame right now is a 3rd place finish in Iowa and the worst debate performance of anyone this cycle. There is nothing favorable coming for him, and GWB is probably going to help Jeb come in a solid 3rd in SC, which puts Rubio at best 4th. 3rd, 5th, 4th.. there is not much exciting to see there. I always felt he was running for VP anyway, which is where he will end up on anyone´s ticket but Trump.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

That is the big difference of America's elections with the Philippines. The debate in the US is for real and sometimes getting personal. But what's important is that the people get a glimpse of what's between the ears of candidates. I had watched the first Republican debate where Jeb Bush admitted that he was into marijuana 25 years ago. I think that statement was uncalled for or maybe he was afraid that it will be an issue hurled against him so he initiated the unnecessary explanation. And Donald Trump, with his usual bravado and strong statements, came out not exactly the winner but the most noticed.