Russia to start fighting in Syria.

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by 111kg, Sep 9, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Guest

So, Russia decided to start fighting in Syria against ISIS (the Islamic state). The US State Department has mixed feelings about this, but that's another story.

I was wondering... will the markets react in any way if the Russians actually send their troops? Enforcing military action is expensive and Russia's economy isn't too great at the moment.

Thoughts on this?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately for us, I think Putin just might eat Obama alive (figuratively speaking) before Obama leaves office. Our foreign policy is pathetic - Obama was a community organizer, Putin ex-KGB. No contest, unfortunately if it ever comes down to it.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

4. 111kg

111kg Guest

With Assad? You can't be serious. That guy is a dictator and a "legal" terrorist.
    Why would Putin even work with this guy? A lot of people have left their homes because of his stupid regime.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I am not a political analyst but I am watching this ISIS thing. There is one forum where I posted my question - why don't the well-meaning nations unite so once and for all annihilate the ISIS. Do you see those Syrian migrants running away from their own country? Isn't it pathetic to see those families on boats with nothing but their clothes on? Now if Russia is true to its word, why not send some US troops to fight side by side with the Russians? Wouldn't it be a wonderful picture to show the world? That's clearly a message of peace.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

As long as Assad is in power the conflict in Syria will not end. I wonder what Russia will gain by helping Assad hang on. Will they limit their aid solely to fight ISIS and let non-ISIS rebels continue fighting Assad unmolested? Russia joining the fight against ISIS doesn't help the Syrians. In fact they've made things even more complicated. Looks like a NATO-Russia proxy war in the making.

I doubt though that the Russians entry into Syria will affect the markets in any way.

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Russia has definitely turned to Asia as their allies and "forgot" the the US and Europe, let's see where those alliances will lead...

8. 111kg

111kg Guest

The thing is, from what I understand, SUA doesn't support Assad, but on the other hand, Assad is supported by Russia. There is a conflict of interests going on and, just like always, the Russians are acting shady.

I'm not trying to be racist. I really am not. But I don't support them at all. Most of the migrants are males, although the media shows only the few women and child. They don't show how loud they are and how messy they are. But anyway, let's not turn this into a political discussion and the idea behind this thread was finding a solution on how to make a profit from this situation.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The sanctions imposed against Russia by the West made them [the Russians] realize that they needed new trade partners. They've been on a charm offensive since then, their intention being to draw gulf states into their orbit. They could afterwards sell weapons to them but first they must earn some trust. Fighting ISIS, which intends to destabilize the region will get them what they are after.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  10. gazzali

gazzali Guest

Why Assad doing this?