San Diego Biotech Gets $42 Million to Develop Ebola Drug

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by springbreeze, Sep 4, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

For everyone who has expressed interest here in biotech investment...

What are your opinions on this drug?
    What are your opinions when it comes to investment?

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

A biotech from San Diego getting $42.3 million that is a lot to develop the ZMapp drug. Its nice that the ZMapp worked with one patient which if its successful with this one person then the ZMapp drug should be mass produced so it can cure all those infected in West Africa.

3. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Is there an actual possible cure for Ebola? I mean its a virus after all. No outright cure for AIDS yet. Just a longer lifespan as long as you take the cocktails.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got my Ebola trades on already. :cool:

5. Fury

Fury Member

Not optimistic for the purchasers of this. There's almost no doubt that this drug will bring in a profit, but I've heard people talking about buying shares in it as if it's going to single-handedly prepare them for retirement. The amount of Westerners who are going to need this drug will never go past a slim portion of the Westerners who vacation in Ebola-infested areas, and unless several of Africa's most poor nations get a lot richer even selling it internationally won't be very lucrative. Before I invest, I would want to know a bit more about this drug than what I've heard so far. I'd like to know how much it costs to make, how they're thinking of marketing it, how much they're going to sell it for, and (above all) the success rate this drug is thought to have. If this is just replaced by some new up-and-coming drug a year from now that outperforms this drug it would be a wasted investment.

6. AlexF15

AlexF15 Guest

If it can help Ebola tremendously, then why not? I think it's a great idea to invest in them as much as they did. Good for them!

7. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

I think these biotech stocks - especially smaller companies are a good short term investment right now. They get paid money to make the drugs and if they do successfully make a drug they will make a lot of money as a result on top of making their company well known. You could sell the stock here or if you wanted to go long term a successful first drug could lead to more money which could lead to a large number of successful drugs following the first one.

8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Ebola is making these stocks skyrocket, a great investment IMO.