Saudi Arabia Welcomes Foreign Investors

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Rainman, May 18, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Back in 2014 there was some talk that Saudi Arabia would allow foreign investors to invest in their stock market. Now it's not a matter of speculation anymore . . .

http://www.thenational.ae/business/...es-for-foreign-investment-in-its-stock-market
    Good news, is it?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Too bad it's just for institutions and not individuals. But still a step in the right direction.

3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

It seems as though they are opening up to the rest of the world. I wonder if this has something to do with new leadership, and the fact they realize that the rest of the modern world has money to spend? If individuals were able to invest in their markets, I might give it a shot.

4. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Saudi Arabia in general is starting to open up. The younger generation is no longer as religious, and the king no longer has as much influence as he used to. As a result the king has to start openning things up or he risks getting overthrown. The king is an absolute monarch, but he still has to keep his people happy.

5. petesede

petesede Guest

It is also like Dubai. I think the younger generation realizes that oil might not last through their lifetimes, at least not their children´s.. They need to become more diversified and use their huge amount of money now to ensure their future rather than just live off of oil money.

6. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

I'm sure that there will be a way in which individual investors can as well. Some countries like China allow institutions to have "quotas" that they ship out to individual investors that allows them to invest in Chinese onshore stocks. At some point I reckon Saudi will have a similar option.

7. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Lol, the Saudi's are really into money making, the sole fact that they opened up their stock market and by extension, their wealth- to those who can afford to invest the minimum amount they imposed is really shocking, sp what this really means is that no ordinary company can go and invest, shakes head, well, I don't know if that makes a good plan in my book because; 1) when you impose a minimum amount that businesses have to invest- in order to obtain something, especially with such a large! "minimum standard", that may be a turn off! and 2) how many companies will they really attract? lol, how many people/companies in the world has that amount of money to just put up for "investment"?

8. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That's good news, for big companies though. It's just a bit of a turn-off though as what Investor said because they had to impose a big minimum amount of investment. It's like opening your doors to someone but he/she must first go through a high closed gate before getting into your door. Another point is, they're the ones opening up to investors who will entrust their big amount of money on them. So shouldn't it supposed to be the other way around? Shouldn't the investor be the one imposing requirements on the party he/she is investing in? It's still a form of arrogance for me on Saudi's part. If they really want to open up then they should also be able to make themselves accessible enough.