Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah Is Dead

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There were speculations that the king's death, succession issues and that kind of stuff would destabilize Saudi Arabia but I doubt that's going to happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30945324
    About the succession tussle:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29792691

2. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

Don't think the zone will destabilize even more. More likely someone will step up and take the role soon.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Hopefully Saudi Arabia doesnt become yet another destabilized country in the middle east. There is enough destruction and death there alread. The last thing we need is more chaos. Could really make gas prices jump.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Lets not speculate, lets sit down and watch as the play unfolds in real time, these successions sometimes have squabbles and sometimes don't...let's cross our fingers that this will be a peaceful transition and things will go back to normal...although things never go back to normal after someone has died...right?

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Saudi Arabia is one of the "safe" countries over in the Middle East and I use that term loosely. I wonder what King Abdullah's death is going to do to the country. Is there any chance that women over there might see more freedom as a result? I highly doubt this will happen, but it is something to think about. I read a book recently in which it talked about how oppressed women are over there. I just hope someone does not take leadership who is going to be a crazy dicator like some of the Middle Eastern leaders.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Apparently everything is going to alright. The new King handled the succession issue fairly well and I doubt any of the princes would find fault with his appointments.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/23/us-saudi-succession-funeral-idUSKBN0KW0N020150123
    Despite speculation that succession tussles would plunge Saudi Arabia into chaos, those were but the thoughts of people who know little about Saudi Arabia's royal family.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Of course everything will be alright. It's a Kingdom, everyone has always known what will happen when the King dies: the next person in line takes the throne. When it's predictable it's something that they can prepare for. King Abdullah was 90 years old, it's silly to even think that they hadn't prepared for his death. Last Saudi king died in 2005 if I'm not mistaken, no huge drama then just as there won't be any huge drama now. Just like there won't be any huge drama in 10 years time when the next one bites the dust.

8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I dont think that , that would happen either, I do believe that they will wisely pick someone to cover that spot.

9. owesem75

owesem75 Well-Known Member

There are things happening in Saudi Arabia that never meet the eyes. The transition was very peaceful, orderly and efficient. The new King has made some changes in the the cabinet but those were welcomed by the majority. There was high respect for every one here.. yes, there "maybe" some oppositions, but opinions are heard and disputes resolved in amicable ways. Saudi Arabia is a safe and fair country - there are some cultural issues that outsiders cannot fully and truly understand... but that is what keeps KSA a unique country over any other states in the Middle East.

10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Valid points on the next of kin being the next in line for the kingdom. It is always a bit nerve wracking even if you know who the next king will be though, because there are always different personalities involved in these things. Just because there is a blood relation does not mean each in line for the throne is going to be the right person for the position.