Saving Money

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Jul 11, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

At the end of the day dump all your loose change into a container of your choosing. I just took a couple of full plastic containers to my my bank and dumped the contents into a coin counter and I was absolutely floored by the result. My wife thought I was kidding until I showed her the deposit ticket. YMMV.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I do love to eat out, and that is one thing that I do spend a surprisingly high amount of money on over time. I try to eat out no more than once a day most days, and I try to avoid having alcoholic drinks out no more than once a week. I try to limit my eating at higher end joints to 1-2 times a week.

A couple of my favorite nearby high end restaurants charge ~ $12 per mixed drink, and other slightly less fancy joints around here tend to charge at least $5-6 per drink. A steak dinner for me with a couple of drinks and a tip runs me well over $100 (and over $200 with a date) at my favorite places. Luckily I don't gamble, and I don't get into the fancy wines.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I do that about once a month. I sometimes get back over $100.

4. FrankieD

FrankieD Well-Known Member

Making your own coffee is definitely a good way, along with quitting smoking if you smoke. Other idea to help save money:

*Automate it - treat saving as a bill. A 10-20% bill, automatically withdrawn from your account. I once read a book called "Pay Yourself First" and it was all about this simple standard.

*Get a similar job only closer to save on transportation costs; bike or walk, maybe carpool.

*Stop paying for a gym membership - there are plenty of low-cost ways to keep yourself fit. Some of them have social benefits as well.

*Don't buy the latest technology. You pay a big premium for that. Last year's technology is still great but far cheaper.

5. JoeTneal

JoeTneal Member

To save money, one of the first things you can do is throw away the credit cards and focus on getting out of debt. It is amazing how much money we give to other people due to our actions of buying items when we don't have the money for it. Make a plan to send every extra cent you have to pay off your debt. Imagine how much money we would have if we were not giving it away every month. Once debt is handled, it is time to pay cash on everything. If you want something, and you don't have the cash for it, maybe you don't need it.
    I have a little trick for you that I do that makes me a few bucks a month. I keep a pair of wire cutters in my car. As I am driving to my destinations, I keep an eye out for people throwing away any electronics with a cord, such as TVs or vacuums. I cut the cords on those items. The cords are insulated with copper. Once you have a nice collection of cords, you can taker it to the scrap yard. They will pay you for the copper content. It is only 30-40 bucks a month if you gather a nice collection of cords, but every bit counts, and it is almost free money.

6. shyinvestor

shyinvestor Active Member

Buy ore. That's the safest way to save up some money I think because ore's value is pretty much all the time the same so it's a safe investement for saving up money.