Say Goodbye to the mellow and pleasant atmosphere at Starbucks!

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Allison2021, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I doubt signing petitions would change much. If the Starbucks management think or believe they'll make more money if they sell alcohol then unless all former customers [most of whom also drink some alcohol] stop buying coffee from them to passively protest against the planned changes . . .

That's the only way anyone can get their attention. But that won't happen so I expect they'll go ahead with their plan.

2. ally79

ally79 Guest

I don't think that it will change the atmosphere all that much. It is still a Starbucks after all and not a bar or a club. I can definitely see how it will generate more revenue for them which should make the shareholders happy!

3. troutski

troutski Guest

Starbucks attracts a very mellow crowd within its stores, or at least their customers like sticking to themselves and going about their own business. Adding beer and wine to the mix won't change that atmosphere, but it sure will boost Starbucks' profits by a noticeable amount. The company has been seeking out new ways to turn more profit, and this move makes perfect sense to that end without really hurting the company in any way. You're not going to find rowdy crowds in your local Starbucks.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

If they put the prices of both beer and wine expensive enough the same customers will continue to be there I think, no one will get drunk with expensive beer I am sure. ;)

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with Starbucks changing to offer these products as well, if anything it will only serve to get more customers, since the old ones are already so accustomed to going there that they're not going to stop.
    They already sell overpriced coffee, time for some overpriced wine and beer too!

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Most if the Starbucks in my area have big fireplaces in the center if the store, so it would be nice to go there and relax on a couch with a glass of wine visiting with friends. I don't really like going to bars because they are generally loud and have a lot of riff raff.

7. troutski

troutski Guest

If consumers are willing to pay a certain price for something, then it can't be said that it's overvalued and overpriced. Starbucks sells a commodity that millions of people like and are willing to pay for at the price that's been set. If the company starts selling wine and beer at a particular price and consumers accept that price, then it's not going to be overpriced, either. It's as simple as that.

8. Misslisa

Misslisa Guest

I think this is a terrible idea! Sometimes these businesses just goes too far to become more profitable. They have to realize that even though they are hoping for the best when creating new business ideas, people tend to abuse certain options, and this can cost more than they could get out of it in the long run.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I don't agree with you Misslisa, they have the places, so why not introduce some new popular products, like beer? It can mean a huge boost for their profits.

10. troutski

troutski Guest

Your last statement makes absolutely no sense. What are people going to abuse? Starbucks isn't going to let customers drink themselves to death because doing so is against the law. They'll have to cut off customers. Plus, alcohol drinkers at Starbucks will more than likely opt for a glass or two of wine or a couple of beers rather than binge drinking. The overall clientele of the company's stores isn't going to change that much. Alcohol sales will bring in more of the same types of people, which aren't crazy bar-goers. Adding alcohol sales is a fantastic idea for the company to recharge and improve its profits.