Schools Bans Drawings of Religious Drawings After Mohammad Assignment

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When I was in school never once were we asked to draw religious figures. Not Mohammad, not Buddha, not Jesus. What's the point of such an assignment when not too long ago people were being killed for drawing Mohammad?

Anyway, a California school no longer will allow students to draw religious figures.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/0...-religious-figures-after-muhammad-assignment/
    Considering the fact that we don't how many people embrace ISIS' ideology, we should stop trying to provoke jihadis because heck, your neighbor could be a jihadi.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Unless you are going to some sort of religious school, I don't see the point in drawing religious figures in school. The separation of church and state was put into the constitution for a reason. As far as I am concerned Sunday school is the place to draw religious figures.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

We should be free to draw whatever we want, regardless of who it offends.
    Cartoons and satire are an important part of political discourse.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this one. Who should tell you what you can and can not draw? Drawing is a way of your expressing yourself. People shouldn't be offended by your choice of drawing. It helps you better understand people and who they are are individuals. I am so tired of all having to worry if something it politically correct or if you are offending people. It has been taken way too far.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

What's stopping students from drawing religious symbols and figures going to do? Why would a school need to feel that they have to ban any type of drawings?

Religion is around us everywhere and while I agree that religion shouldn't be taught in regular school, the parents can send their child to a Sunday or after school class for that, I'm not sure what banning children from drawing certain things is going to achieve, apart from a lot of media attention. And that's exactly what they got...

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Pardon me for this remark. The problem now, to consider that we are on globalization mode, is the politically correct thing. You cannot call someone a homosexual because they prefer to be called gay. You cannot wear a religious attire for costume because that is blasphemy or disregard of religious respect. I wonder why we cannot go back to the olden times when you can call a black person negro. It's just a name, right. And with religion, what's wrong in making a drawing of Buddha where in fact it can be any fat guy. With Jesus, that drawing can be anyone with a beard.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I never drew figures, because no one knows really what they are like. All we do is copy what people have envisaged over the years and the perceived images. It does seem extreme, because then what if children are banned from drawing Father Christmas? Muslims and Jewish don't celebrate Christmas, but they know what it is and it's a huge commercial and religious time for many countries.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I don't really see the problem with what they were doing, I mean it's just a drawing.

I think I remember in the first year of high school we were tasked with drawing Jesus in Religious Educations class. I think that's the only time I know of that I've had to draw a religious figure.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think it depends aswell what people class as a religious figure. I mean a cross can be called a religious figure, but it's also just a cross as well, so are the going to ban them as well?

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I support the banning of religious drawings not because we are bowing down to demands from religious fanatics. It's a smart move because no one will think of attacking the students in school because they crossed some line. Supposing a school allowed kids to draw pictures of Mohammad and terrorists planted an IED in the school wouldn't they have brought this upon themselves? If Charlie Hebdo stopped drawing Mohammad cartoons why shouldn't schools do the same thing?