Scott Walker.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by gmckee1985, Feb 25, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

What are you thoughts on him as a potential political candidate in 2016? Regardless of your political persuasion, try to evaluate him based on his political skills and talents. I think he's going to be a force to be reckoned with in 2016. I know Republicans say this a lot, but he really does remind me of Ronald Reagan. A lot. Very successful governor. Very conservative. Strong leader. Seems like a normal guy that can relate to the common folks. I like him a lot and think he's got a real shot at this thing.

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I honestly don't know much about him beyond some key points. Nor do many others, hence he's kind of the Dark Horse contender right now. What he did in cleaning up his home state is excellent though. Taking on the Marxist Muppets and winning and surviving a recall election shows he's got stones. But is he ready for the presidential candidate prime time? Your guess is as good as mine. He stumbled a little bit in front of the press in the last couple of weeks, but it was nothing to get too worried about.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

A Conservative is exactly the kind of person Americans will vote into office. Analysts have it that Hillary would beat Scott Walker easily but it's too early to make any accurate predictions. Should the Republicans nominate him as presidential candidate then I'm certain that he will be the next president. Just a hunch . . .

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Agreed. Potential candidates can be discussed, of course, but we're too far away from the election cycle to really know. And any polls right now are only slightly more than useless.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I really like him. He seems very smart and doesn't seem to try too hard to be overly PC.

Aside from MSM bias, those 2 factors kill most Republicans. They're not very smart about how they campaign and even act once in office (see much of the current Congress). They try to be too nice, too PC, and try too hard to make the MSM like them, which is never gonna happen.

It makes me sick to hear McConnell announce that he's "Ready to compromise!" on his first day as Majority Leader, or for Graham to whine like a bastard redheaded stepchild about "we're gonna get blamed for it" if they don't always cave in to Obama's tyranny.

Meanwhile Dems use every dirty trick in the book, personally attack them, make stuff up, etc. And the MSM, CNN, and MSNBC repeat it all over and over until it's "fact" and the Repubs are demonized. And most Repubs aren't very good at fighting back and explaining in simple terms to low information voters just WHY they're usually right and Dems are usually wrong. They try to "take the high road" and end up losing - see Romney, McCain, et al.

6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I think he is a good guy, down to earth, did a pretty job as a Governer, so he would make a good candidate.

7. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider Scott Walker as a strong contender. In my opinion, a man who coyly questions whether the current President of the United States loves his country is a bit unsettling to me. I don't like any candidate to feed into a craze paranoia that is dangerous in my opinion. I don't know if he is able to relate to common folk. I do recall issues he had with union workers a year ago or so. These potential candidates always say they will do the most for all Americans during elections and that's when they're not trying to be divisive.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't recall Walker saying that about Obama - that was Rudy Giuliani, who is a retired private citizen who can say whatever he wants.

It's about time someone stood up to the unions - they've gotten way out of hand over the years. Just ask the Big 3, among many others who have either filed bankruptcy or moved overseas to avoid having to pay absurdly inflated wages and benefits to workers.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I'm not against unions. I think people should be able to freely associate with them as they so choose. What I'm against is forced unionization which more and more states are moving away from. I'm all in favor of "right to work" laws. I think unions served a useful purpose at earlier points in our countries history, but they have become absolute and are kind of relics of the past. They've grown into nothing more than a political arm of the Democratic party.