Selling a conjugal property

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Corzhens, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Selling a conjugal property undergoes the usual process with the absolute deed of sale to be signed by the spouses (or the conjugal owners). The only snag is when the couple is already estranged and not in good terms. What if one of the spouses wouldn't sign the deed of sale, what can the other party do? That situation is very common for separated couples, according to one real estate broker. In extreme cases, the spouse who wants to sell would file a motion in court to force the other spouse in agreeing to the sale of the property for equal sharing between them.

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Conjugal property issues I think is one of the most complicated things estranged couples have to face. I guess that is why more individuals who have a lot of property and money in hand before marriage choose to require a pre-nup before even getting into marriage. This way, the problem of having to ask for permission from your estranged spouse wouldn't have to be a problem.

With regards to conjugal property selling where both parties agree to sell, my parents have done that a couple of times already. My dad had no problems with regards to selling because my mom would just usually sign the needed documents.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

That pre-nup agreement you mentioned is a good thing for couples particularly the rich people. There is a popular celebrity here named Kris who is the younger sister of the president of our country. But that's another story. Kris got rich more from her endorsement and job in the entertainment industry. When she got married, there was no pre-nup agreement. So when she separated with her husband, she had to pay a palimony of more than 50 million just to settle everything regarding their properties which were all owned by Kris.