Sentenced to 263 years

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Alex, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Honestly I want more details on this story before passing judgement. I don't trust the BBC, to be frank, and there are just a lot of things that seem missing. On the face of it it's completely despicable, but I want to know the full details of what happened; what was the evidence against the officer? How plausible is the claim that he was helping these women? Did any of his accusers have incentive to put him behind bars?

There's just far too much left to the imagination here.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

That makes sense.

It's safe to say there is absolutely no chance he will see the light of day again, as it were.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Read this;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Holtzclaw

Apparently sex crimes detectives tracked him down as his GPS route coincided in the same locations where incidents too place, hence they investigated him. It all began when a grandma with no record was pulled over for no reason, but she just happened to be in the wrong part of town. She had nothing to gain, but reported a crime.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cop-daniel-holtzclaw-speaks-article-1.2463029

If she hadn't reported the crime, others wouldn't have come forward and he would have continued.

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification and information. That is truly unbelievable. My wheels are turning now, what on earth would drive someone to do something like this?

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It's not safe either for the officer or for the people s/he is supposed to serve and protect. I suppose the only reason they'd take such risks is if they are understaffed. And if they are then the solution would be hiring more cops. Everyone will be safer then.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Who wants to be a police officer these days? It's dangerous and the pay isn't always good although it does have benefits. It's not like the old days of Starskey and Hutch or Cagney and Lacey where detectives were always in pairs. I can imagine if an officer was alone and was attacked, how could he call for backup? It has happened before, so surely in some areas they should have more than one officer, especially the dangerous ones?

7. Troponin

Troponin Guest

It depends on what area you are in and what the budget is. In many areas, there is a budget for all public service, and the police could end up with the raw end of the deal. Most areas don't have the budget to have 2 officers per unit, while others have basically taken a pay cut to do it. Some run two officers at certain times of the night to help keep the budget lower.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

Well he wouldn't be freed if he was -29 :) considering the fact the sentence is 263 years. Death penalty is not a good idea. I would make all of the criminals to earn that money and double it by hard work. This way community, country and people in need would have benefits from him. I am sure there are some smart people to make a program that works in this way.

9. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I didn't even know 263 years was possible , this is crazy

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I'm glad justice was served. More times than not, cops get away with all kinds of stuff. I'm always slightly surprised anytime a cop gets jailed for his actions.