Share your stock picks

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Penny, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Mine right now would be:

Verizon VZ, dominant market share and dividends are healthy.

Skechers SKC a good, quality brand that I think will continue to grow.

Remax RMAX real estate behemoth doing well from the economic recovery in this area.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well I added some HON and CM.TO last week so I guess those two would do.

3. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

Western Forest Products (Canada // Lumber // WEF.TO TSX) we'll see how Q2 turns out for them, although I'd be wary holding them into October when the softwood lumber agreement ends.

DHX Media makes a lot of children's programs and has deals with Netflix and alike. They're building their content portfolio and gobbling up companies here and there. The overall expectation is that this company will get bought out by Disney // Netflix // Amazon or a big player in content.

Those are the main two that have my eye.

4. petesede

petesede Guest

I am getting into Coca Cola KO this week as a long term play, nothing exciting, but a good value play at this level. I have been looking for derivative plays on low oil prices. Decided to pass on Fedex and UPS and went with KO instead.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been buying up options on small and mid cap biotechs like crazy in the last 6 months or so. I have about 25 long stock positions in some of the larger and more fundamentally sound among these, along with another 50 or so more speculative companies that I have put / call spreads / straddles on.

Still have pretty big positions in Google, Apple, Amerco, IEP. Hologic, Nuance. BRK.B, GS, SWHC, RGR, NXP, Avago, Blackstone, etc.

A few bucks in some of the better energy names - CLR, FANG, PXD, EOG, BPL, SLB, etc

PANW, CYB in the cyber security space.

I believe HTZ can be turned around.

Puts on AMZ, NFLX, TSLA, and on many of my more volatile long positions.

Short GM, Primerica, JCP, Sears, ATHN, WWE, etc.

6. crimsonghost747

Possible buys for me next week are
    WTR/T/JNJ or BCE.TO/CM.TO

just a small batch and looking to survive from this with just one currency trade so I'll have to make my choice between USA and Canada.

7. coloradogy

coloradogy Active Member

I took a different tack with this post. Wanted to comment on crimsonghost's stock pick before I gave mine. I work in an industry that Honeywell serves. Their new hardware for distributive control systems (their C300 platforms) are a game changer. Their new Experion system linked to the Orion consoles are not cheap for most companies, but are ahead of the functionality that Emerson's Delta V upgrade can give. In next few years, anyone who has an old Honeywell system will have to upgrade. They are no longer manufacturing the equipment but will support it for several more years.

My stock pick: Lyondellbasell (LYB). Company practically prints money everyday. Purchase ethane for almost fuel value, crack it, and sell it at the ethylene spot prices of ~34 cents per pound in the US. Talk about mark up. Also, LYB is one of the largest producers of polypropyene. Gone are the days which polypropylene margins were less than a cent or discussed as pull through economics. When Lyondellbaell posts in their most recent earnings calls that they sell it for close to 15 cents margin, you can't argue this company has the wind in its sails even with low oil price headwinds.

Disclaimer: Long on LYB. NOT initiating a long position within the next 48 hours. Do not own HON and NOT initiating a long position in the next 48 hours.

8. debensingh

debensingh New Member

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I loaded up on Lyondell, Westlake Chem, and Sasol about 6 months ago. I've taken most of the double digit profits off since on the first 2. Of course Sasol tanked not long after I bought it around $40. :D

10. crimsonghost747

Don't have the time to take even a closer look but just a really quick glimpse into some of the numbers behind Lyondell... it does look pretty nice. I might have to do some more investigating during the weekend if I find the time.