Shopping Malls as Terrorist Targets

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by My401K, Feb 27, 2015.

1. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

Over the last few days I have heard much talk on the local news about the struggling Somali terror group Al-Shabaab calling for terrorist attacks on shopping malls located in many different areas. The question is how does this make you feel? Does this affect your decisions on whether or not you want to go to crowded shopping areas?

I noticed when I went to the store last weekend there were more security guards then I have seen in the past, but this winter there has been an increase in youths fighting with other youths in parts of the Mall. I think it is sad when people have to worry that while they are off doing the everyday things of life, They could be hurt or killed. maybe the world was always this way and I never noticed?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Well terrorism is not all that new. It's been around for ages but it has grown more widespread these days. And thanks to the internet we hear more of it than we'd have heard in the past. But when other terrorists also hear the same news, it emboldens them and as a result we have more terrorists attacks.
    Terrorists want people to live in fear. I'll never give them what they want. That's why such news will not make me change my plans unless the authorities issue a warning not to go to a mall because terrorists plan an attack there.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Just yesterday there was a long story in the news about how the large majority of our fears are completely irrational. This was in Europe but they calculated that you are about 1000 times more likely to die due to health issues relating to eating too much fatty foods, basically heart and other blood circulation related diseases, than you are to die in a transportation related accident or an act of violence. (terrorism included)

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

This terrorist attack happened a stone throw to where i used to work, i'll be honest, since then my love for trailing in malls dwindled down quite fast, i hate crowded places, i don't even go to social gatherings or events anymore...not out of fear but just as a wave of caution, i visit malls on weekdays and if its a must i go there :)

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm not an easy target, and wouldn't likely be an easy victim, unless I'm ambushed. One on one and face to face, I'm not one most people want to screw with. But gangs, bombs, automatic assault weapons, poisons, etc are a whole other ballgame. It helps to stay alert and use common sense, but it certainly doesn't guarantee anything.

6. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

Shopping malls and arcades have always been targets in my country. I'm from the UK where IRA bombs used to be planted frequently.

I don't get Al-Shabaab's reasoning behind their statement though. presumably, they want to blow us all up right? So why let us know where they plan to do it? Isn't that defeating the point somewhat?

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess they figure if they scare enough people away from the malls, they will also hurt the economy a little.

It doesn't help that malls are usually "gun free zones" that make them even easier targets in general.

8. ally79

ally79 Guest

Did you see the story reaming the Mall of America for all of their posted signs about it being a gun free zone, in spite of the fact that it violates the state gun laws? People around here are freaking out about "possible" terror attacks because the FBI was at a local mall for the past couple of days.

9. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

It doesn't effect my decision on whether I should go into a shopping mall or not. The truth is, I can't predict the actions of someone whose intentions is to cause harm to innocent people. Terrorists use places like shopping centers because of the large population of people there, especially during a holiday. Creating mass confusion mix with terrifying violence is a quick way to gain attention in the media. I remember reading a comment from someone in Kenya. I don't know what city they were in but I remember the country was Kenya. I found it sad to read how they were afraid for their lives everyday due to persistent bombings and violence around them. They were 21 at the time and I found myself thinking this is no way for a human being to live.

10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

It is a scary feeling, where, you want to go out and shop but at the same time you could be someones target while you are in there shopping, but there is no way to avoid it, though one can shop online but it neve equals the feeling one gets when actually shopping.