Should Ebola Drug Zmapp be released already?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by springbreeze, Sep 4, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

As we all know, the spread of Ebola is becoming a problem in Africa. There's a new drug called Zmapp that has proven effective in a small number of cases for fighting Ebola. It's still in the experiential stage. So, no one knows what long-term effects it can have and etc.

With all that said, do you believe the drug should be released in Africa right now? With so many people dying or dead, should we bypass the months or years it would take to do experiments and get the drug approved? If you were dying of Ebola would you want this experimental drug? This is more of an ethics question than a political or investment question.

2. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

It is scary to take a drug that has not been approved fully to treat a condition. If there is no other way but death then I guess it is okay to take the drug. What I think about is, if the side effects are more severe than the disease. Life is so complicated sometimes.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Being a matter of life and death...i would be in need of the experimental drug for my survival...but now am reading that the disease is mutating further...we can only hope for the best :(

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Yes, of course it should be approved. There's no reason people should be allowed to die when their is a potential antibiotic for it. Even if it is experimental, the people who have this disease have very little options so they might as well be given any potential lifeline that they can possibly get. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative of doing nothing and waiting for sure death.

5. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I don't have enough info to say, but if in fact can cure, I think that the bureaucratic procedures should be made fast so that the drug can save people.

6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

If they used it on some people and it actually healed them , why would they try it in west Africa, if it was not ready to be tried out, then they would not have tried it on that guy, but the more they wait to try it out, the more it is spreading, not only in Africa but all over the world, if I was a patient, yes I would try the experimental drug.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It matters little if the drug is in experimental stage or not. When you know someone has a 10% chance of survival, then any drug which is available should be given to that person. Of course it may have side effects of some kind but if it saves his life then surely there's nothing wrong with that. To what extent do they want the virus to mutate before they start scrambling to make a different drug? Enough time has been wasted — it's time for action.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Tekmira got up near $30 Friday. They've sold off today.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Having people die because you're afraid to let them use an experimental drug is just silly in my opinion. For most of the people in Africa, contracting Ebola is a death sentence. They don't have near the quality of medical care as we do here. I think it's a moral imperative to do everything we can to help those less fortunate, even if it involves giving them an experimental drug. Some chance of survival is like better than no chance of survival. And that's the case in most of Africa. Death rates are upwards of 90% in some places.

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I think that the zmapp should be tested more I think its a matter of people wanting that to happen. So this means that more money is going to be involved. I think that the zmapp drug would be the main key to help those Ebola victims.