Should People Be Allowed To Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. We should all have the right to die if we so choose.

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I think suicide is selfish, and there is a stat that I have heard that says a large amount of people who have survived jumping off of the Golden Gate bridge figure out how to fix their problems on the way down. That being said, should people have the right to off themselves? I dunno. That's not my call because I don't wanna do that. I have not really been in that position.

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

There was a story going around relatively recently that talked about a woman who did a bucket list type thing and then was euthanized. So that's a very real possibility.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I'm waiting for someone to bring in the religious factor on this subject. I'm dying to see what their interpretation of suicide. Is it the greatest sin according to their religion?

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I think that before one decides to end their life, they should think through the consequences - like how it would affect their families, friends, etc. This may not always be easy, since many who kill themselves are suffering from depression or other ailments that may make rational thought difficult.

6. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

It used to be, that's why the law was made. It's one of those antiquated laws that have no use in modern society. What are they going to do if I commit suicide.......arrest me?

But they can take my life insurance money away from my family, and that's what its all about. Money.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Over here, there are proponents of euthanasia or mercy killing particularly intended for those with terminal illness and with much physical sufferings. It was difficult for me to understand that part of terminating life but I had a different view when my first dog got sick. It was renal failure and I could see the suffering of my dog so I called up the vet and requested mercy killing. The vet arrived and prepared his needs for euthanasia but I had a change of mind. So the vet went home and after a few hours, I couldn't stand the suffering of our dog so I called back the vet.

But with suicide, I guess that's a different story. The suicide owns his life so why not let him do whatever he wanted to do with it?

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Depends on one's beliefs. Those who believe in reincarnation don't see death [whether it is self-inflicted or not] as the end. Anyone who dies according to them after a while returns to earth in a different body and will only progress to a higher plane after they've learned "their lessons," paid their karmic debts and so on.

Some Christians believe someone who has committed suicide can be forgiven while others don't.

https://carm.org/questions/other-questions/if-christian-commits-suicide-he-still-forgiven
    This might seem like a perplexing question, but it does have an answer. Though the Christian who has committed suicide has committed a grave sin, he is still forgiven.

9. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Life is our greatest gift no question about that. At the same time many people are not willing to suffer knowing there is no hope. Can we really blame them for that? Should that be illegal?

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think that's one of the main issues when discussing a topic such as this, unless you've actually tried to commit suicide yourself, you don't know what would actually drive a person to do something like that.

It's very easy to sit here and judge, but until you've walked in their shoes then really it has to be a choice only that individual alone as to take.