Should People Be Allowed To Commit Suicide?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jul 20, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

They should, but not on a whim. I think if someone is suffering from a terminal condition is in pain or they are elderly,and have lived a full life they should have the right to commit suicide if they wish. I think all of our states should have laws allowing suicide like Oregon does. It doesn't mean everyone has to take advantage of it. It would be comforting to know it is available as an option though.

2. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I think it should be conditional. Everyone has a right to life and as a result, should be able to terminate it if they so wish. I believe that if someone is diagnosed with something terminal and are losing their quality of life, then they should be able to choose to die on their own terms, rather than fading away in a hospital bed.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Some people think it's unethical to help someone die. But if it's their choice to end it all then there's no reason why people with terminal illnesses should be kept alive [and possibly in pain].

I read a news article . . . Belgian doctors allowed a 24 year old woman who was perfectly healthy to die by euthanasia because she has suicidal thoughts. All people healthy or not should have that choice if they aren't interested in living any more.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

It's a moral question, governments don't want to be held responsible for legalizing death, it would be something dubious that would... cost votes?

5. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

That's an understatement and an obvious statement, at that. It is their choice, but it is morally messed up and theoretically stupid. There's so much more to live for than what people generally have in mind whenever they are on the brink of suicide.

6. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I have no idea why people who don't support the death penalty support legalizing suicide. I just do not really understand it that much, to be honest.

7. 111kg

111kg Guest

I think you were referring to assisted suicide and not at suicide per se, as once you kill yourself, authorities can't send you to jail anymore :D :D

For those who don't know about it, there is a documentary on assisted suicide. Terry Pratchett, the main host, opened my eyes. It's really worth watching.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There will always be people who oppose something for some reason. But everything is being legalized these days and I'm sure that soon when people start demanding for their rights "to death with dignity" the government will have no choice but to let them have what they want.