Should Tenants Demand For Compensation When Landlord Is Renovating?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I do believe that the tenants deserve a compensation when the landlord decides to renovate the house. It is great discomfort for the people living in the house, and every landlord must be aware of the situation. It is best if they do not ask rent for that period of time.

2. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I believe it is only right if the tenants ask for their share of payment due to the inconvenience caused. If the landlord can ask for the damage caused to the property then why can't tenants do the same.

3. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

I think the tenant is allowed to request a specific amount of compensation if the landlord does not properly take care of the home. Period I think that if the landlord were to offer the opportunity to put the tenant in a temporary home or corporate housing that would somewhat allow the tenant to have some type of normalcy to their lifestyle. I think that when a landlord expect the tenant to leave the property for a long amount of time then yes the tenant is of course entitled to a specific amount of the rent be paid back or monies out of pocket . But I don't think that the landlord should put a tenant through any type of huge renovations if that's the case the landlord tried to go to the process of doing the renovations after the current tenant leaves the property or before the next tenant comes into the property.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  4. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I do believe tenants should ask for compensation. It is the one and only way to make sure that you pay for the inconvenience.

5. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

Very true but I think the landlord should also take this into consideration before listing the property on the market. If there are very minor renovations that can wait until after the current tenants leave then it's fine to ask if it can be done while they are there perhaps during the times when they are home in the evening. But if they need to do a major renovation, I think they should take some time after the current lease ends to make the appropriate changes.