Should The U.S Give Ukraine "Lethal" Weapons?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

No, the US has enough on it's won plate to be interfering with Ukraine. It's not affordable for one, and even if it was it is just provoking Russia even more. How would any deal benefit American citizens?

2. Dejik

Dejik Active Member

I see where you're coming from with the Nazi comparison but I don't think we're facing the same situation here. For one the international community is far stronger and more together as a whole, some thing that was not the case in the 30s and something which the Nazi's skilfully exploited. Secondly Russia in fundamentally a week country with a faltering economy that is heavy reliant on natural resources. With this in mind, we should continue the regime of sanctions as these have been successful so far, even to the point where Putin's power within Russia has weakened somewhat. I think a strengthening of the sanctions will show we mean business and he'll be forced back to the negotiating table on our terms. Not to mention avoiding escalating another war.

3. Dejik

Dejik Active Member

Its funny I said something similar to a friend of mine the other day. The US military industrial complex produces so much weaponry that as soon as they give or take weapons somewhere, they're not overly concerned about bringing those weapons back home or tracking where they go. ISIS do not have the capabilities to make heavy weaponry, however the were able to rout Iraqi forces and make swift advances to the point where they now control an area the size of France. Those heavy weapons which made such a difference, were remnants of weapons the US left over in Iraq, weapons they've supplied to the Free Syrian Army and weapons left over in Libya. Even the Taliban fought with weapons the US had supplied to the mujahideen to fight soviet forces.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I dont know enough about the situation to give an educated answer. I do tend to side with individuals such as Ralph Peters, John Bolton and Dick Cheney on most foreign policy questions. Ive agreed with Obama on foreign policy very rarely.

5. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think Obama would actually do it. He seems like a guy for peaceful talks instead of violent action. As for whether or not I think she should, no, I don't. I don't see a way that it can be positive for any parties

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Obama IS not someone who likes peace. In fact Obama loves war more than Bush.

Is that someone who prefers to solve conflict diplomatically? His stance on the Ukraine conflict made the U.S's European allies take a step back for the first time ever.
    A peace-lover?

7. jesuslover0314

jesuslover0314 New Member

I do not think the US should give Ukrain "lethal" weapons, because they could get mad at us and other people around us and use the weapons we gave them for those purposes. Even though they may say it's for other reasons, who knows what they truly think about? I think they need to make their own weapons instead of asking other countries for theirs.

8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

First of all, would they know how to use the lethal weapons, or do they also have to be trained, sometimes equiping such countries could end up being a risk.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The UK and the U.S offered to train Ukrainian troops. That's all they'll get for now while the fragile ceasefire holds. Even when fighting erupts once more, I doubt that the U.S will be that eager to arm Ukraine if that would mean giving Russia the greenlight to openly send their regular troops into Ukraine "to protect all ethnic Russians and Russian speakers wherever they be" as Putin once said.