Should You Show Your Tenants That You Are a Good Landlord?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Rainman, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When I stayed somewhere at one time, the landlord occasionally came over and went from door to door talking to tenants, finding out if they had any problems and promised them that he'd fix whatever it is that needed a repair. He didn't do much [delivering on his promises, that is] but the tenants liked him nonetheless. The only tenants who ever moved out were those who were leaving the city.

What do you guys think? Should landlords try to get along with all their tenants so they can stay [around] longer?

2. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I tried that approach, as the landlady, it actually got me in hot soup than anything else, the tenants took advantage of my kindness and thought it was weakness...therein i suffered endless losses, now am learning a very bitter lesson whilst picking up the pieces...in my case scenario, i'd rather never meet the said tenants, let them deal with the agents and the agents will forward whatever the issue is to me, then i can deal with it thereafter....talking from painful experiences :(

3. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I'd rather stay away from the tenants too and let the estate agent deal with everything. Besides lessening the chances of being taken advantage of, it would ensure that I remained impartial to the tenants. I wouldn't want to get in the situation where I ws letting someone pay reduced rent or similar out of pity. After all, letting is a business, not a charity.

4. troutski

troutski Guest

It never hurts for landlords to keep in regular communication with their tenants. To avoid getting taken advantage of, landlords need to make their visits or interactions less frequent. Too many regular trips to see the tenants can be seen as someone that's easy to take advantage of. It's better to at least be a hospitable landlord rather than being some enigmatic figure that nobody knows or ever talks to.

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I do believe that landlords, should really try and get along with the tenants, it does help alot, apart from having god realtions with the tenant , it will also help the tenants to have a positive outlook on the landlord, thus hlping the tenants to take good care of the landlords property because they will be having some kind of relationship, it will also be good for refferal to the landlord.

6. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I think that it is a good thing when you have a good landlord who is human. I must admit that I have a good landlord. Some time back I had a problem with my finances and could not pay my rent for a whole month. He did not call me to ask for the money the entire time.

7. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

A tennant is not your friend, he is a person who is purchasing a service from you. Asking your tenants if everything is ok is a good way to ensure they are looking after your property.

There is nothing wrong with being friendly with your tenants providing there are strong boundaries. This will prevent your from getting taken advantage of.

8. ally79

ally79 Guest

I don't think that there is anything wrong with being friendly to your tenants, but you shouldn't be viewed as a pushover though. If you have a rental agency then you should encourage your tenants to contact them about any difficulties they may have.

9. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I believe it really does not matter as I think it can be fine if you hold your part of the deal. I totally think it is best to try and understand your tenants and then take the step required in making a good relationship with them.