Siblings put a baby in an oven and turn it on

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Alex, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I felt the same way when I first saw the story, Alex... like total disbelief and then a few questions followed. First, probably for all of us, was how anyone could *possibly* leave babies those ages alone no matter HOW long you were going to be out.

And a grandmother living nearby? That's probably the most pathetic excuse for something I've heard in a long time... and if she's so close, would it maybe have been wise to... oh say TAKE THE KIDS to grandma's house?! Sheesh. :mad:

But then the realization came that with all the kids being so young, it would be kind of convenient to blame a baby's death on them, wouldn't it? I haven't heard more, but I'm sure it's something they have investigated. Then again, how could there be any proof unless there was a cam in the house? :( So very sad in any case.

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Has anybody heard if there has been an updates on this story?

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

There are no updates as they are probably investigating the case and the mother was also pregnant at the time and probably is about to give birth again. I guess that's why they were waiting, as the father was also negligent and the courts must decide on what will happen to the newborn.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

When I was looking for updates on goggle about this incident I was really surprised to see how often this has happened. There are a lot of cases of babies being put in the microwave. So very sad and tragic.

5. knitmehere

knitmehere Well-Known Member

I don't care where the mother was suppose to have been going, you never leave young children at home on their own. Heck, I have a daughter who is almost seven and I don't like leaving her in the house just to walk next door for a few moments.

This is the full fault of the mother and she should lose custody of her other children (and the one on the way) because of this incident.

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Nothing wrong with that, knitmehere... the way things are now, we *need* to be like that when it comes to protecting our kids. Predators, sick as it is, *wait* for parents to "walk next door"... who would take chances like that after everything we've seen in the news?

I agree that custody should be removed in this case... but sadly that doesn't often happen unless it can be proven that it wasn't the kids who did it after all.

7. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

You are an awesome mom! That is exactly how it should be. Children are a special gift and they should be treated that way. One can never be too careful when it comes to taking care of their child. It is too easy for something to happen to them.

8. knitmehere

I live out int he middle of nowhere and I still don't trust that my daughter is safe by herself. When I hear about things like this happening, I don't understand what could have been going through the parent's head. Also, kids don't just out of nowhere decide to do something like that. They have seen/heard/been through something very violent in order to have minds that think that way, in my opinion.

I agree that this type of situation is rarely ever handled correctly, and I hate to say it but if they don't take away her children then I see this happening again.

9. knitmehere

Completely agree. Leaving your children alone for any amount of time is not worth the risk of what could happen to them while you are gone. I know I would never forgive myself.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I'm not sure about the US (and different states) but in the UK it's against the law to leave a child at home alone under the age of 12. Some parents do, but leave a number or have a neighbor keep an eye on them. However, it's common sense that any child under 5 should never be left alone, 10 year olds can and do walk home from school, but not 5 year olds. I don't think a parent needs guidelines to tell them that, but it does appear that the 'nanny' state is necessary for people like this.