So is the rebel flag that important to people in the South?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by mikebutton, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mikebutton

mikebutton Guest

I mean it's proven to be associated with racism. It's proven to be part of the establishment that committed treason against the USA. Even if you attached heritage to it you can't just feel the harm outweighs the hurt. Maybe I'm wrong. But I really don't get why people are so upset at the bannings or even understanding the bad side of the flag.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I'm from the south. While there are a good many southerners who hold the confederate flag in high regard, I dont think theyre the majority at all. I dont like it when the media stereotypes people on this issue.

3. Joliver

Joliver Guest

Not nearly as important as the Gadsden flag, and what it stands for...

I personally think all imagery attached to legalized slavery should be altered. Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, BMW, Bosch, and any other company that legally profited from the pain and suffering of others forced into experimentation and hard labor. But don't just pick one because it's expedient.

This is a political football. A football that has somehow garnered the prioritized attention of the public. It's essentially fiddling while Rome burns.

And by god, there is no coping mechanism instilled in the U.S. anymore. Everyone is offended about everything. It's a fantastic way to become a social media celebrity. Furthermore, it's easy to be "offended" when the only thing you have to do is click a link. Hardly a groundswell of support...

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I'm not from the continental USA. But I do have a lot of African American friends that do get offended to see that flag anywhere. It does represent a time where the south was for slavery. That is a shameful part of American history, and out of respect of their ancestors, that defeated flag should be laid to rest forever. It was defeated and so should its ideals that came about during that time period.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Truth be told when I heard that the KKK was very much against the removal of the Confederate flag from SC's state grounds at that point did even those who thought it was symbol of racism realize they were living in denial. There always was more to the flag than "Southern heritage" and pride. Even racists who knew that would deny it because few people want to admit that they are racist.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I am from the South. I do not fly the Confederate flag or own one. But any private citizen or company who chooses to fly whatever flag they wish should be allowed to do so - First Amendment. And in government, it should be up to each state.

Those who believe wrongly that the South were the racists and the North were the non-racist humanitarians need to read up on their history. The Civil War was economic, not fought to free the slaves - that was just a bi-product.

A very, very small percentage of pre-Civil War Americans even owned slaves. And they were not all southerners by a long shot. Many immigrants and Native Americans also had very hard lives back then as well.

The Confederate flag does not equal "slavery". But now some militant loons are calling for the American flag to be banned as well, which I'm sure will happen eventually.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015...e-flag-we-need-to-put-the-american-flag-down/

7. galefussy

galefussy Member

My guess is it has to do with pride. People all over the world are proud of all kinds of heritages, and express it through all kinds of symbols. Speaking of harm and hurt, and putting the symbolism aside, it's just a piece of cloth on a stick or on a wall. How could that hurt anybody in any way?
    The fact that the media chooses to focus on flags or guns instead of people, didn't help much either. In their race towards higher ratings, news stations chase controversy. Reporting on the actions of one person is not that controversial. There's no heated discussion to be had. Racism and gun control on the other hand are sure to get people riled up.