Social Security for housewives

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I recently learned that Obama passed a bill that now gives housewives social security income when they reach retirement age. I thought that it is probably one of the best things he has done while in office. What is your opinion?

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Could you cite the bill? I haven't seen the news report. That and when I google anything with Obama or social security, I get a gazillion nutburger site results.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I haven't heard about this as well and to be honest it makes me wonder, if they never paid taxes how can they receive money in the retirement, how can the system support such a situation?

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Kind of baffled by that as well ?...how does it work ?...how is it implemented ?...i guess we can forgive him on this, it's the holidays and sometimes a merry mind {i don't have to spell it out}...well we all know what happens when we are in extreme happy moods :)

5. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

President Obama is no longer a member of the US Congress. Therefore, he cannot pass a bill. As the US president, he can sign a bill into law. He can only sign a bill into law after both the senate and house of representatives pass that bill, respectively.

Social Security has always permitted married women to collect their husbands Social Security check. Marriage has been one of the cornerstones of any civilized society. Married people are a team. Couples who just live together are never given the same benefits of a married couple. If one goes enters the work place then both benefit from that income. So, if a man is eligible for social security then his wife is able to collect. Even if that couple eventually divorce, that spouse is able to collect the other spouse's social security as long as they can prove they were married at least 10 years. If one spouse dies then the other spouse can receive the working spouse's social security as long as the survivor is 60 years old.

6. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

It really seems like an unsustainable situation, I guess Obama might be getting a bit too generous with his proposals now that his term is coming to a close, we'll see if this passes onto law though...

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Besides his executive orders, Obama is passing a record number of "memos".

I agree that no one should benefit directly if they didn't pay in themselves. Spousal surviving benefits are one thing, but just being given benefits for oneself directly when one has paid nothing in is another.

8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am not sure exactly of the bill but my mom now gets it because my dad just retired and she has been a stay at home wife all of her life. I think it has something to do with the fact that she is married to my dad who has always worked. I will ask her more about it and can give you all an update.

9. ally79

ally79 Guest

I couldn't find anything about this and Obama. Housewives have been able to claim social security from their husbands earnings for a very long time so this is not a new development. Remember that at the time social security was started most women did stay home to care for their families.

10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Yeah, the fact is that not even people who have paid all their lives get their full benefits, so people that never contributed? I'd love it to be possible, but I think these are vain promises.