Spirituality Bookstore Names Isis Vandalized

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The store has been vandalized 5 times within one year because the vandals mistake it for ISIS when it actually isn't. The bookstore uses the name of Egyptian goddess, Isis. I suppose it's time the store owner changed the name because the store will still be targeted by people who hate ISIS for as long as the store is still called Isis.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/51275668-story
    But if some creep has never heard of Isis but has heard of ISIS, wouldn't they vandalize the store?

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think the owner does need to change the stores name to prevent further attacks from vandals against it.

I know the name has nothing to do with ISIS but they're gonna see Isis and immediately connect it with ISIS, even if it makes no actual sense if they stopped to think about it. I'm really not in agreement with having to change the shop name because a few pea-brained people forgot to get their thinking caps on that morning, but for the business it's best to do it, OR change around the logo or the frontage so there's no way even the most ignorant of folk can connect the two.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny. They should definitely change the name. I wonder if they even get the connection.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I remember when they termed it ISIS and people were opposed as it is the name of a goddess and so they (in the UK at least) changed it to IS, ISIL, or said Islamic State. Anything with those initials will always throw up the inevitable.

Of course there will be people that have not heard of the goddess Isis, and that's down to education. Still, I hope they were caught, because it's stupid to vandalize something with a similar name, the same as discriminating against someone who may have the same name as a dictator or mass murderer.

5. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I realize that the owner figures he has the right to name his store what he wants and that he shouldn't be forced to change it because of some ignorant people but I would say in this case that he really should consider a name change. It is only for himself and to keep his work place safe. It should never be happening in the first place but it is and there comes a time when something has to be done about it.

6. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

*Sigh*. I think it says a lot about the type of people out there (that have probably never a proper book in their life) that would chose to vandalize a shop they know absolutely nothing about.

Should the owner change its name? I don't think so. For one thing, Isis the Egyptian goddess and what she represents, has been around a lot longer than the extremist group and will be around a lot longer. The "Isis" terrorist group name is already morphing into "ISIL" and "Daesh" anyway so who's to say that the name will be around even next year.