Starbucks Will Donate All of Its Unsold Food to America’s Needy

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

To minimize food waste Starbucks is teaming up with Feeding America and Food Donation Connection in a program known as Foodshare that will allow the company to donate all of it's leftover prepared food.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/22/starbucks-foodshare-donate-unsold-food/
    I love it :) :) :)

2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Guest

Hats off to Starbucks.I am hoping that similar enterprises will follow suit.Why should food be wasted when there are so many needy people around who sometimes are desperately in need of it? This gesture by Starbucks will be of great value to the needy and it will also enhance the company's corporate citizen status.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Well all I can say on that, is well done to Starbucks. Let's hope now though that they set an example and more and more companies will start to do the same.

It's about time that companies like this did more for people instead of focusing solely on profits.

4. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

This is a really good thing, I'm sure that there's a lot of food waste in all the restaurants, and there's actually people dying of hunger out there, so it would be much better if other food companies do the same thing.
    But hurray for Starbucks!

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Not a bad idea. I've seen things like these before and usually they don't end up being done too effectively but I hope this one works out well for both the people in need as well as Starbucks.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Pret a Manger has been doing this since it started (coffee shop chain in the UK) so while it's good, why has it taken so long? Fears of expired food and people suing them? That has been cited often, but France made it a law that stores must give the unsold food to charity, and some stores in the UK have been doing this already. As I am not a fan of Starbucks, I can only see this as a PR move, as I am sure they have had requests for this before, and now it's company policy.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

The law in France is fucked up though. (surprise surprise)
    It states that BIG grocery stores have to donate the food. I don't remember where the limit goes but it's only the big ones that are bound by this law. (equality anyone?) It does not state that someone from X organisation is allowed to pick up the food, it forces the companies to find a way to distribute that food. This, naturally, will be at the company's own expense unless a charity decides to come and pick it up. But maybe that charity decides to spend it's money elsewhere and save both time and money by just letting the store take care of the transportation since they are forced to do so by the law.

It's just another stupid law that makes things hard for everyone. Why not just let the stores leave the products out in the back where anyone who needs it can go and pick it up? Why make it a big mess of legal mumbojumbo, obligations, paperwork etc?

8. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think that is really decent of Starbucks to do. I think more companies should follow suit. I know some companies do things like this, but sometimes it is done quietly. I know in the past both Popeyes Chicken and Whole Foods have donated unused chicken and breads to the homeless. It is one of the things they do.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

Well that is certainly good news. It does make you wonder though, why it is so praiseworthy and not just the norm? I commend them for doing it, but I would be more satisfied with them having been doing it since their onset, but maybe that is asking too much. I guess I will just take what I can get and say good job, Starbucks.

10. TaurusHorns

TaurusHorns Well-Known Member

Wow, I love hearing stuff like this.

I can't believe it has to be publicly mentioned and noticed for people to say anything...the fact that people were so ok with throwing away food just sickens me, these people have no sense of morals. Hate, hate hate it. Imagine what they toss outta grocery stores every day...