Stock Market after Paris Attacks

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by turt, Nov 15, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

My error: the blathering was at the conclusion of the two-day G-20 meeting. The CAC 40 is now down 0.13% with about 30 minutes to market close.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Heaven forbid we get hit hard again - you'll see some real volatility then.

The markets actually closed here for several days after 9-11.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

To be honest I was expecting a bit of red across the boards except for some of the big defence contractors who should be well in the green. Looks like I was 50% correct as the defence contractors have jumped a bit... but nothing excessive compared to the rest of the market.

4. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

Well, the markets ended up neutral in France. I understand that short term the attacks won't have much real economic impact, but I am concerned for the long term security of France. I don't think the long term future is positive, and that hasn't been factored in today. I would not be so optimisitc, especially as France will move in, and keep themselves a top targer for ISIS.

5. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

The defence and military companies will see a boost, even if minimal, I'm willing to wager.

It should be well worth a look to see how the markets look on Friday compared to Friday last week.

6. crimsonghost747

well, did you wager? ;)

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I don't have the heart to, yet :D

I really need to get on one of those practice accounts again and see if my thinking would be right.

8. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Assuming we don't see anything major in the very near term, from memory these types of events tend to have a short-term impact on the market. Admittedly, the reaction after 9-11 was far more extreme and should always be a reference point for terrorism. But as it stands markets shouldn't be destabilized by the events

9. crimsonghost747

Too bad, most of the defence companies had a pretty good run last week. I didn't place any extra bets due to this Paris mess but my largest holding is a defence company so I'm well prepared for these events from a financial point of view. :)

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I wish you the best of luck :D

The UK has recently increased their order of the F-35 to over 100 aircraft, so the company that makes them might make for a good investment.