Stock Market after Paris Attacks

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by turt, Nov 15, 2015.

1. anders

anders Well-Known Member

It's just after 1.30 am here in the UK, and I'm a little worried about how the markets are going to react tomorrow morning after the Russian jet incident today. I know, as some have been discussing here, that war can be a locomotive to drive the markets up, but in the short term they can be pretty volatile. I don't think I'm too exposed, but a fall across the board wouldn't be too helpful.

Anyone else worried about the impact an escalation in the Syrian conflict might have on the stock prices?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Anders, if the Paris tragedy didn't affect the markets I doubt the downing of one Russian fighter by Turkey will have an impact. In this (USA) shortened trade week I think most floor traders will bail within the first hour of Wednesday's open and will not return for Friday's half-day session. Trading volume will be so light that prices will drift aimlessly. I would pay attention for possible dips in some stocks if there is little or no price support due to the absence of floor traders. HTH. YMMV.

3. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Ah, interesting. I'd forgotten that it's Thanksgiving this week. That might very well temper any large fluctuations in the market.

But still, the Russian incident is of a different category to the Paris attacks. If Russia does slip into a state of de facto war with Turkey, this means it's at war with NATO too. And I'm sure that'd have some impact on the markets, for better or for worse...

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

With the recent sanctions Russia has put in place it might be a good time to check on what's falling, as I'm sure some stuff is bound to drop like a fly.

Will it have any effect anywhere else though? Like other NATO countries?