Stock market correction in October ?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Fredrick Jones, Jun 3, 2015.

1. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Is there a source for that or is this your prediction?

2. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Everybody just wants the best for everybody, with a few exceptions, obviously. I wish that all of the things that are happening right now weren't happening. This world is really in bad shape.

3. petesede

petesede Guest

Depends on how you look at it. Most times I agree that ´people´ suffer because of bad leadership.. but I think in the situation in Greece, the problem is more grassroots than political. The politicians would have to ignore the will of the people in order to fix things.

The revolt you are looking for has already happened, the people of Greece are revolting against the EU.

4. modaddy786

modaddy786 New Member

Correction is coming but calling it when it will occur, you need the Almanac!

5. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

If we check 5-10-20 monthly SMA-EMA , showing bearish trend for some months, I think, correction in October is a carrot shown to bears, Expecting Fed rate hike on July 29th Fed meeting. If Grexit for 5 years confirmed in this week, expected FED rate hike on 29th July. Or this bearish pattern will take Dow30 below 17000.

6. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Greece matter is not over yet, Bailout deal is nothing just short term relief for market. Until confirmation, Greece will not leave ECB. no reason, 1 session is enough to crash world market. so, i'm trading carefully with hedged positions. In fact, after bailout deal situation got more worst than before.

7. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty much all-weather and bottom up.

The markets will do what they will do - they've done great overall in the last 6+ years. Sooner or later that will change. Nobody knows when for certain. But bull markets don't last forever, and past performance is no guarantee of future results.

A correction usually presents opportunities to buy good things cheaper, and also to perhaps take some off that have made lots of money up to the correction that appear to be pretty fairly valued.

There are always opportunities on the long side and short side no matter what. Sometimes it can take a while though to see profits on positions if you're buying in a correction or bear market, or shorting in a bull market.

I'm currently about 40% long stocks / calls; about 20% short stocks and long puts; about 15% long commodities such as gold, silver, crude, etc; about 5% in short term debt (mainly local munis and higher yielding corp debt); and about 20% in cash.

I've got puts on more volatile long positions, plus puts on other volatile securities that appear to have gotten way ahead of themselves. Lumbering, lower beta companies like GM, Primerica, and recently GE lend themselves to actual short positions, while more volatile high beta names that appear overpriced like Amazon, NFLX, and TSLA are better bet against with puts rather than actual short stock positions.

Small cap biotechs that are highly volatile and tend to move a great deal in either direction quickly can be approached by buying both puts and calls ahead of events such as drug trials, FDA decisions, etc.