Studying Tools

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by MakeDollarsSense, Oct 3, 2015.

1. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

What are the best literary works to read to become a successful stock investor? I need some suggestions for someone who is planning on beginning in investing in stock market. Thanks everyone.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Respectfully, I would suggest you look through the many other threads asking essentially the same questions. There are lots of answers herein. But let me try these ideas...

What you seek may vary on the amount of time and effort you can devote to ramping up the learning curve. Writing styles can vary from scholarly, philisophical and dense to light and airy.

I would suggest a road trip to your local library and/or your local chain bookstore, e.g., Barnes and Noble or the like. Browse the shelves and see what may be interest. Writing styles and the approaches to the subject will undoubtedly help you pick something comfortable to read.

Perhaps a evening course at a adult evening school or community college may be of interest.

Perhaps a web site like MoneyChimp (http://www.moneychimp.com/) may be helpful.

In my opinion one of easier how-to series to read are the Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/) series. Look in the Personal Finance and in Investing sections of the web site. Here is just one example -- http://www.dummies.com/store/produc...Dummies-4th-Edition.productCd-1118376781.html -- that popped out on a search. (I have not read the book.) Each Dummies book has a downloadable PDF file that gives you a look at the contents and a chapter or so.

And another source of how-to information is the literature at the brick-and-mortar storefronts (I am biased to having a storefront I can go to.) and on web sites of the larger brokerage firms. Some firms have courses at the local offices, others have online live "webinars" and some have both. Obviously thsee things require a filter applied to factor out the push to make you a customer before you are ready.

But your first step in all of this? Please look through this board, using the search tools if necessary, to see the answers, ideas, and suggestions already posted herein.

HTH. YMMV.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Also don't forget about investopedia. Their "dictionary" is a good thing to have open when reading any sort of financial literature as you will certainly run into some words that have not been explained or you simply forgot exactly what they meant. It's a nice and quick way to make sure you don't get terms mixed up.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Just got to drop by and say my thank you's for the advice eyou guys offered, as someone who is new to the markets.

Many thanks for the tips and links :)

5. Value Prophet

Value Prophet Member

My number 1 recommendation is a really easy to read book, with a common sense approach to investing. It's Charles S. Mizrahi's book: Getting Started in Value Investing. It has a focus on Value Investing, but don't let that put you off. The way he discusses buying shares in quality businesses just made sense to me when I started out (several years ago now). I'd say Charles's book, and Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Poor Dad, where part of the impetus for me starting my investing coaching business (valueprophet.com). All the best with your investing learning.

6. 111kg

111kg Guest

There are a lot of good advices above. However, I've found out that one of the best ways to learn about trading is to get one of those free trading accounts where you get virtual money and start trading. This way, you can get used with the trading platforms, but you also learn a lot about how those trading instruments/options work. Even if you don't know everything, give it a try and write down every term you don't understand, then google it. Once you understand, you can head into technical analysis IMHO.

7. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I suggest that you research many of them and look at their reviews.