Supreme Court Decision on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Jun 28, 2015.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

True, but ones morals and understanding of what is good and bad etc doesn't have to have anything to do with religion. Those in office should look at their decisions and try to make one based on what is good for the country, not which would seem more appropriate by HIS religious beliefs. Or rather lets just fill the government with atheists and see what happens? :p

2. Olga

Olga Member

If atheists will be more among us life will become easier without religious prejudices.
    Especially religion should not touch anyhow political relationship.
    Because of it as a result we have now to resolve question with gay and lesbian marriages.
    Many people killed because of great idea of peaceful religion.
    And we will suffer more till people will replace religious beliefs by simple morals and logic.

3. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Interesting discussion.
    I am not an American but am heavily effected by what happens in America (Canadian border town resident, nice mix of government health care and access to cheap American booze!)
    What what I gather from this discussion, one point is that marriage is supposed to be a state level issue but was decided at a federal supreme court level.
    Would this kind of be like individual states making marijuana legal even though drugs are a federal level issue?

4. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

While it may be true that one's morals may not be tied to a religion the fact is that all morals have stemmed from someone's religious view somewhere in history. I don't know the history of when Atheism became popular but history demands some sort of spiritual understanding in this life which directs actions. Just look at the Mayan culture, they had a moral that wasn't Christian, but religious to be sure.

I think what we have today in political decision isn't really based on religious convictions anyway. And maybe I am just jaded but I also don't believe that the decisions in Washington have anything to do with what is "good" for the country but rather what is good for the politicians' political career. What will get them voted in again.

5. Olga

Olga Member

Religion is politic :
    Simple way to control crowd by reminding them fear in front of imaginary God. The only way to live happily is to pray creator, on whom depend our lives . But he will except only the special one to answer his request
    Politic is religion :
    Government is like God, doing what he want, everyone is begging for better life in his feet.
    Both of them were created to block our mind.
    And with none of them you can fight. Nowadays constitution, law, culture,whatever we have is a fruit of this two systems.
    Our morals and preferences were formed by them.
    That's why appeared Muslims, Christians, Gays, Lesbians. All of them just differences to make us hate each other.

6. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

How exactly is it a "fact" that "all morals" have a religious/spiritual backing? I would argue it's the opposite, all religions have stemmed from someone moral views. There is a natural law that most humans understand, the difference between right and wrong. Even chimpanzees and dolphins have been shown to have this understanding. When people created religions to try to make sense of the world and to control populations, they just applied what they felt was right/wrong. Morality existed before religions, morality transcends religion.

I am also jaded too Pip, the big players in the capitals around the would don't give a hoot about right, wrong or morality in general. It's all about their career and their cronies.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I'm an atheist, so religious reasons are out of the question for me. Two people should be able to marry and get the benefits that what use to be called a normal marriage. Let the states have their field day trying to figure what they will do with the ruling. That should be fun around campaign trail to watch unfold and see where the candidates draw the line.

8. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I think it is pointless to debate the origin of this "Natural Law" I'm not trying to convert anyone here. I just say "fact" because no matter the origin, historically it has always shrouded in some form of religion.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Good points. Some don't want "equality" - they want special treatment. They're usually the same people crying about "tolerance", but only want tolerance of that they agree with - they tend to be extremely INTOLERANT of anything they disagree with.

10. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I know! I think that is was a huge step for the LGBT community, and it may open the doors to acceptation through the world, because the United States have a lot of influence in another countries and luckily gay marriage could become a global thing! I live in Mexico and its "legal" since June I think, but if you're gay and you want to get married, you have to get through lot of legal processes, and we still don't have the same rights as an straight couple... But it's something!