Supreme Court Decision on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

How is wanting to celebrate you membership of the gay community some how not "equality"? I don't get it. People celebrate their identity and relationships all the time. We have Valentine's days and they whole planet seems to be covered in red kissy things. But waving a rainbow flag is somehow outrageous?

Equality means not having to shut up about a part of your life just because it makes some people a bit uncomfortable IMHO.

Just like I don't have to shut up about being an asexual single childless person who is happy to celebrate with people who are happy to be the opposite of all those things. If it makes them happy, it makes me happy.

2. Traveller

Traveller New Member

A wonderful day for America. Marriage is the legal union between two persons, period.

Love thy neighbor, Jesus once said. If you call yourself Christian and disagree with this ruling, you are a follower of Christ in name only. We are defined by our actions, not our words.

United we stand, divided we fall.

The United States is better due to its diversity in race, creed, cultures - which should live in harmony and equality. Today we celebrate another push towards total freedom and liberty. Today is a good day.

3. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I agree Marriage is the legal union between two person. It should not matter if the person is of the same sex. If you love somebody and you want to spend the rest of your life with them then you should have the same legal rights to do as all other couples do. It is makes them happy then who are we to judge who a person loves and who they choose to marry.

4. Sheppard

Sheppard New Member

Marriage has never been for procreation cause if it was for procreation, does this mean sterile couples who cannot have kids not allowed to get married? Marriage is about love and nothing else
    No one is stopping you from praying in schools, it is just ppl cannot force praying on to ppl who are not religious or a other faiths.
    and is the Government changed the definition of a christian marriage? no they havn't,
    You see christianity does not own marriage cause marriage has been around before christianity came into existence

5. petesede

petesede Guest

This entire problem was created 240 years ago when they made ´marriage´ have any type of legal significance. They should have never used that terminology, instead it always should have been ´union´ when it comes to legal issues. This would have separated the church part from the legal part. Gay couples would have been able to be legally unioned ( united) and it would have in no way infringed upon the religious use of the word ´marriage´. If they had not used the world ´marriage´, it would have been a legal and business transaction similar to incorporating, which would give the spouse all the legal benefits of the union.

6. Sheppard

Sheppard New Member

Why? religion does not own the word marriage

7. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I'm a Christian, and if people are seriously thinking that the constructs of marriage are being tainted due to gay marriage, then they're ridiculous. Divorce rates are at an all time high, there's infidelity everywhere, there's rampant miserableness, and everything just sucks in the modern American marriage.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

Many would argue, myself included, that marriage is a God given gift.

9. Sheppard

Sheppard New Member

and yet there is marriage before your "god" came into existence (christianity) and marriage is a man made thing like everything else man has made including religion and god

10. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

No, you are correct, Christianity does not own the word marriage. However, for me (as a Christian) the definition of marriage or me only exists in the Christian world-view. While many argue that if you are Christian you must accept all marriages by anyone who "loves" someone else because Jesus said to "love". For me though, Jesus spoke of love as a sacrificial act which he demonstrated on the cross. This is why "Till death parts us" is the standard. Today people use the Disney-inspired, Hollywood promoted, oogly-googly feelings definition of the word love when they say that Jesus taught people to love. We have a mixing of meanings and metaphors.

Please, if someone wants to get married, please, by all means, go get married. Just don't ask me to perform the ceremony until it can be demonstrated to me that their knee has been bent to the savior on the cross who calls us to follow him. It would be inconsistent for me to take part of anything less.

Like I said, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, don't share my faith if you don't want to - no skin of my nose. However, I will remain true to my faith in the Cross of Christ. Does that make me a Hater? So be it then. Yet another definition in my book gone awry.

Viva la Elvis!