Supreme Court Decision on gay marriage

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Jun 28, 2015.

1. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, I'm quite late to this issue, but even up to this date, I'm glad it's been legalized. We can't opress people based on what they intrinsically feel. It's their choice and should be respected, as long as they don't bother anyone else. Congrats to them!

2. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Gay marriage shouldn't be an issue anyway since everyone is supposed to have the same rights as written in so many Constitutions all over the world, it just saddens me that only a few democratic countries allow it. As one humorist wrote, "I think everyone is entitled to marry and subsequently divorce the person they hate." Also, letting things be will decrease stress in your life the fact that the Church is still fighting this is really more of a political issue than a personal one.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Things like this tend to get blown out of proportion in my opinion and the further it goes on, the more the actual original question gets buried under a mountain of red tape, paperwork and people's opinions.

I don't know why people can't just accept that a decision as Bern made, and respect the fact that like it or not, it's Bern made in a democratic way.

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Who cares about gays getting married, let's let them be as miserable as heteros and get to solving REAL problems facing our society, such as terrorism and our tanking economy.

5. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I'm really glad people are able to accept same sexy marriage.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

This whole issue only became an issue because we did not follow one of our founding principle.. the separation of church and state.

Marriage, as a religious ceremony should NEVER have awarded any type of legal status. Married people should have always had to go through a legal process to create a business type union that gives legal standing to each other, that then can be used by insurance companies and other to give legal benefits to the spouse. It should have been more like a 2-person corporation that was completely separate and did not rely on the religious ceremony of Marriage. The fact that we ever allowed a religious ceremony to be such a big part of legal matters is where the problem is.

Separation of church and state. Religious ceremony provides NO legal rights. Legal rights come from the government courthouses..

7. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Civilizations all go through the same process of decline and fall. Decadency and degeneracy are cardinal signs that the polity is in a state on decay, and its impending destruction is not far off.

A combination of indiscriminate immigration, and a willful abandonment of western principles, will no doubt turn America from greatness into a New Mexico - or worse. Look at 1950's Detroit, and compare it to today's Detroit. What changed? You tell me.

8. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, I hope I am not alive to see the decline of the United States. It would be a sad state of affairs. Although of course many people feel that the slide is already in progress. In my opinion, electing someone like a President Trump would simply hasten the demise.

9. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I actually rather agree with pete. Marriage is only one kind of melded household--and in fact many people are married and live almost totally separate lives. IMHO for tax and benefits purposes it should not matter who you merge your household with or why. It is a status that should be available to any persons making up a more-or-less permanently joined household--whether that be a romantic couple, or an adult child moving in with an elderly and frail parent, or two single siblings sharing a house, etc. So long as income, debt, and assets are held in common--it counts.

And saying it has anything to do with degeneracy or decline is frankly bollocks. The countries in decline are the one throwing gay people off rooftops and normalizing sexual abuse of children, not the ones recognizing the basic human rights of people regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.