Supreme Court Denies Request to Block Texas Voter ID Laws

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Oct 21, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Voter ID laws in Texas, which require residents to show IDs accepted by state law. Many people have said the measure is discriminatory as it specifically targets miniorities, the elderly and young voters. The ruling is consider a major blow to President Obama's administration, which challenge the June 2013 ruling striking down parts of the Voting Rights Acts. I am concern because it seems like there is a strategy in predominately southern states to find ways to limit voter turnout among individuals they preceive to be supporters of the Democratic Party. What are your opinions?

2. gats

gats Senior Investor

I think it is perfectly reasonable to show show an ID at voting booths. I wouldn't want illegal immigrants to vote in my country and I think it would only be fair for the United States as well.

3. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

Where I come from people have been known to borrow other people’s IDs to vote illegally. Some try to get away with voting multiple times. I understand the need for having a Voters ID to ensure that elections are held fairly and legally. That said everyone living in the state should be able to obtain a voter’s ID when they apply for one.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Democrats will always have something to whine about. And always they'll hint that something which doesn't favor them is "racism" without directly saying so. I don't see if there's anything wrong with permitting only the RIGHT people to vote. While the democrats claim that law will disenfranchise 600,000 people there's no proof that the number is that huge nor do they know for a fact that all those people are democrats. At least they'll have an excuse when the Republicans take the Senate.

5. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't see anything wrong with requiring a photo ID to vote. We should know that everyone who is voting is who they say they are. It's a pretty common sense, logical policy. I don't understand why it's taken so long for us to take this approach. Should have been required for a long time.