Supreme Court hits new low: Only 30% have confidence in justices

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ash2014uk, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ash2014uk

ash2014uk Well-Known Member

2. turt

turt Guest

Don't see how they can force an opinion based on religion on the public. Anyone can have beliefs and call it a religion. If Walmart, the largest employer, decides that they don't believe in something, can they just ax it now? Just get rid of rights that are in place for all Americans...

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

They're not forcing anything on anyone. They are in fact saying that big govt doesn't have the right to force a corporation to provide certain nonessential things to employees at the expense of the employer. The reason - whether it be religious or whatever - is irrelevant IMO. Forcing companies to provide certain non-essential benefits to workers is against what this country was founded on and against what has made it great over the years.

And that particular company actually pays its workers at least double the min wage! You'd think that people could buy their own damned birth control with such a high wage.

Ruling 5-4 that Obamacare was constitutional was their biggest mistake IMO.

4. turt

turt Guest

But that's not what the ruling was over. It was over religion, not 'non-essential' coverage. We all know that a lot of the health care bill is there for certain people to profit but that's another story!

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree that technically it was about religious freedom, which I also support.

But my point is that on a bigger scale, the whole damn law is a mess and should be scrapped.

Had the law not passed, and employers not been forced to provide these things, it never would have been an issue.