T Mobile on the rise?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rosyrain, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

T Mobile seems to be doing a very good job lately taking business from other cell phone service providers. What do you think the future holds for them?

2. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

The mobile market is difficult to predict, but it does seem like a good time for T-Mobile. The acquisition of the Metro PCS (a company that has been huge in the South for years) was a major move. This type of strategy we have seen done by other companies like Sprint in the pas, and it does create a serious boom for the parent company. Even still, it is very hard to pick future winners in the mobile industry. t-Mobile is surely in it for the long haul though.

3. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

They certainly are making some bold moves here and there to drum up business. You'd always have to look at the fundamentals to see how sustainable that is, but I think the logic is a short term sacrifice for a longer term gain. As most would say, it's particularly difficult to pull in customers versus just retaining them.

Also, I may be behind on my T-Mobile news, but I tend to hear them in buy out talks quite a bit. That certainly never hurts, haha.

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I really like the deals they have going on and that is why I went with this company. I was able to get a high dollar phone without paying for it all up front. After I switched I see advertising for them everywhere and everyone I know seems to love the company. Anything is better than my former cell phone company and I wish them all the luck in the world. I am sure at some point a new cell phone provider will take over the spotlight though.

5. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

I just don't think they are going to make the market saturation they would expect her in the North. When AT & T bought Cricket what happened was many of the customers smart phones were not GSM so they were not compatible. In swooped Verizon and off went some of the market share. It seems to me that no matter who i ask, anyone that has changed providers always seems to go back to Verizon. Now if Verizon could get FIOS in a better state they might actually give Time Warner a serious run for the money.

6. troutski

troutski Guest

Sprint is hemorrhaging money and customers right now, which T-Mobile is undoubtedly taking a decent chunk of. Still, T-Mobile and Sprint are both second-class wireless services compared to AT&T and Verizon. Every provider has its own markets where it offers the best coverage and fastest data speeds. Overall though, AT&T and Verizon excel above the others because of this fact. Whether they charge far more than Sprint and T-Mobile is irrelevant.

I think, short-term, T-Mobile is going to see some decent growth, but I don't know about long-term. The company has done some smart innovations that have attracted new customers, but I don't see T-Mobile competing with Big Red and Big Blue anytime soon. Sprint (Little Yellow, in my opinion) is screwed, though, while T-Mobile has an opportunity to grow and take the number three spot. Plus, every innovation that T-Mobile comes up with, AT&T and Verizon can afford to match those deals and surpass them with ease.

On the other hand, Sprint can undercut all of its competitors, and it's still losing customers/profits. So, I'd say, as far as value and long-term upside go:

Verizon > AT&T > T-Mobile > Sprint