Tackling Ebola

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Jul 30, 2014.

1. junebug

junebug Member

I suppose so. I hope they had the right resources to protect themselves against ebola. From what I hear, the one doctor who is in Atlanta is slowly getting better and the other doctor (a woman) is still in Africa. They are expecting her to get here in the next few days.

I think a bigger concern for Americans is the contagious diseases that the children coming across the Mexican border are bringing. I understand why the kids are coming and I don't blame them or their families, but I think we need to make sure they get appropriate medical care.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

june, you say the doctor is getting better, but I was under the impression that ebola was a terminal disease? Am I wrong here, there is a cure for ebola?

3. turt

turt Guest

Ebola has are really high death rate for a virus.

I think if the necessary precautions are taken, doctors don't have to worry about contracting the disease. The problem here is the fact that there is not enough funding to do this (I'd assume). People tend to always wait until it's too late!

4. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I've mostly heard that the mortality rate is 50%-90%. Alarming, but death isn't a given like in some diseases.

I think it also is affected by how early the treatment starts, and how aggressive it is. Then again, 50% sure sounds a lot more comforting than 90%, doesn't it?

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Even that 50% figure is incredibly scary to me.
    I hope this situation gets resolved quickly, because the longer it takes the more likely it is that someone unknowingly takes the virus to a large population center.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

What's that JR, TKMR is peaking due to ebola?

8. JR Ewing

That company and another one I just posted in another thread have vaccines in the works. Of course it's a gamble investing in these companies - the vaccines may not work well, they may get rejected, etc. Buy lightly if at all IMO.

9. JR Ewing

TKMR up 40% today! :D

10. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Member

It should definitely be completely up to the doctor on what they want to do. If they think that it is right for them to go and try to treat these people, then go for it! It's definitely a personal choice that can't be made for people. Just as someone should not be forced to do it, someone should also not be forced not to do it.