Taxation and Income

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Jason76, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

I certainly disagree with the current system in the US where the complicated tax code is manipulated so the super rich actually pay less tax. It is not unusual for multi-millionaire celebrities to use tax havens and trusts so that they pay less than 2% of their income in tax.

Money goes to the best cheaters.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Yes, it is certainly not fair that those who game and work the system pay the least amount of tax. An overhaul of the tax code is more of a necessity than most people seem to realize. I think the whole thing should be scrapped and we should start over again. It would just be the way that more people would pay a fair tax.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Ever hear of small US businesses? I guess you obviously don't own one.

I can assure that many of us who own small businesses here in the US do pay corp taxes at or near 35%, plus state taxes in many states, at least a little payroll, etc. Small businesses that don't have much in the way of overhead have little they can deduct. As usual, it is YOU who comes off as the idiot you claim others to be.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There is a bill in the Philippines that would change the landscape of taxation. But it is pro-people since the bracketing will be lesser and the rates will be lower. It is already being tackled in congress and tax-paying citizens are excited about it. However, the administration is not keen on that since our president is an economist and his reason is that the government will have a shortage of funds.

5. turt

turt Guest

I own a small business and this is true but it's also true that big corporations manage to get their tax bill near nothing. It's really difficult to have employees too.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

But the debate that comes up is not about small businesses, it is about ´big companies moving overseas because our tax rates are the highest in the world´.

Employees are a hassle, and there is definitely a learning curve when you first start hiring people. This was 25 years ago, but I was amazed at how quickly at $10/hour assistant ended up costing me closer to $20/hour. But at the time, I lived in a state with a lot of craziness.

My point is that you cannot talk about ´high corporate taxes´ in a vacuum without realizing that the reason they are so high is because congress gives big corporations so many ways to reduce them. We cannot lower corporate taxes until they get rid of tax breaks for certain people.