Teaching retirement saving in school

Discussion in '401k, IRA and Retirement' started by Rosyrain, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I agree jason, on financial management, politics, health and nutrition, these are the basics of life and society IMO.

2. jason

jason Guest

I was able to study health/nutrition and politics in high school but they didn't really apply those lessons to many 'every day' ideas. I think there should be more of that in school too.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I studied a little health too, but something really superficial. On the other hand I had years and years of history and geography... What for?

4. Sugarhill

Sugarhill Guest

I had a basic primer on finance in high school. The problem is that until people are actually putting into practice, more often than not, it just stays with you long enough to pass the test. It's really something that you need to have an idea of and then the willpower to do it when you have an actual income, that's what really gets people. They see the immediate needs and keep putting off the future until it's the right there and now.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

In the condition that our society is in we should indeed be taught retirement saving because we can't rely on the state for our pensions.

6. twinsmommy31

twinsmommy31 Active Member

I was just talking to my mother about this. I felt like I didn't have the education regarding finances. They should teach retirement spending in school. I say before kids are pushed out on their own, they need financial education. Retirement saving at an early age would set up a person for a financially stable future. Yes I am for this. I wish I had it.

7. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

We all feel like that twins because in fact we don't receive such an education. On the other hand we do have a lot of knowledge on history...

8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is a good idea, if they did that, I believe it would better many students, by the time they finish high school, they would have a good idea of how to handle, save and invest their money.

9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

In school they teach you how to cook, clean, sew, draw a picture, and everything else, but finances are pushed to the side. After my initial comment on this thread mt daughter brought home a little workbook they were doing on savings and checking accounts. Its too bad that they only devoted about a week to the subject before moving on because she still does not get it.