Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MalorieJX, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Amin

Amin Guest

We should just let the kids be, they'll find what they want to believe no matter what we teach them in elementary school.

2. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Kids should certainly be taught *about* religion at school, within the curriculum and by professional teachers. School is a place of learning where advocacy materials should be presented within a proper educational context. And because kids I school come from all religions and none, the overall framework--will respectful--should be secular. It should not endorse or denigrate and particular faith.

3. Oropherion

Oropherion Member

Nothing is really offensive about this entire situation to me. Maybe I can start distributing "The Talos Mistake" to elementary schools too. Hopefully, satanists can start distributing explicit black metal albums, and Arinists can distribute Game Grumps T-shirts to the kids too.

... Or, a public school could just take the simpler route of disallowing religious paraphernalia entirely. Who would have thought that "separation of church and state" actually meant something?

4. Oropherion

Oropherion Member

Reading this again, I meant to say "disallowing DISTRIBUTION" of religious paraphernalia. If one person wants to bring a bible or a quran or something to school and read it that's his own business, but don't have semi-professional groups come in and give them out to kids... That's just a display of religious bias. Too bad I can't edit a post if five minutes have passed by already.

5. Genmichelle

Genmichelle Guest

I wish my kids school distributed math books.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

This is amazing. Great example of freedom and equality right here. I like the way the school thinks.

7. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

Like the mother said, it is better for them to learn some things because soon they will be out in the real world where they will meet all kinds of religion. In the real world there is satanism too and all kinds of nonsense. I don't have a problem with them reading atheist books. In the end, you cannot force someone to believe whether there is God or not. It a matter of perception and personal choice and those books wont change much.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't have a problem with students being given as much information as possible. I think that's key to intellectual development. Having your parents or teachers make up your mind for you isn't a good thing. So, even though I'm not an atheist, I have no problem with students being given information by atheist groups. If anything, forcing religious views on kids can sometimes lead to resentment and a rejection of religion all together, so maybe having kids being exposed to alternate views will kind of put a stop to that.

9. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Teachers should never make a kid's mind up, but they sure as heck should be structuring the learning evens rather than just leaving them to cope with "alternative views" on their own. The teacher is in loco parentis (in the role of the parent). So If some alien suicide cult gets materials to the kids, the teachers should be helping the kids analyze it critically rather than just letting the suggestible ones pack their moon suit and head for the Koolaid party.

I have taught kids in their very late teens and twenties who would still take advocacy material at face value. So I sure as heck think someone should be actively helping the younger kids understand faith/spirituality/cult material which is specifically designed to convert and indoctrinate. Not just to deal with material provided on school grounds but also the online world of grooming, terrorism, and general weirdness.

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Things like this just goes to show how convicted the human conscience gets when the gospel is preached. If it was really fairy tales, they would have no reason to get upset about it whatsoever. But since the truth stirs the heart, they get angry and try to oppose it. Good thing the word of God never returns void.