Tennessee atheists win right to distribute literature after schools give Bibles

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by MalorieJX, Sep 8, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Why don't we hand out books on personal finance instead?

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It seems extreme that they demanded access, but with free speech if they do it for one, they must do it for another. The exception is private schools and places where they cannot, but if it's public then they should be allowed.

Sometimes I find that those who protest have other motives, but with the internet children are going to come across all kinds of things that their parents may want to shield from them. It's then up to the parents to protect and to educate the children.

3. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Um, if it was true they would have zero reason to get upset because it was true.

For those who feel that a certain faith or philosophy is untrue then there is a reason to be upset about the state education system indoctrinating people with it. And that is not just from atheist but families of other faiths who are not interested in their minor children being converted while they are away at school.

It has to be all or none, not just letting school children be Evangelized to by a single religion.

4. Jason76

Jason76 Well-Known Member

Often, the atheists encountered on YouTube, and sometimes in real life, are often very cynical "smarty pants" kind of people. They think everyone is below them and ignorant. Therefore, I find it amusing that a group is passing out atheist literature that isn't arrogant.

5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

This is actually really cool, if bibles are allowed in this school, why literature can't be? Especially philosophy books, I think that's fundamental for kids to start thinking out of the box, and philosophy it's the right way to go.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Everybody has their own religions and beliefs. They should not be forcing in on other people by teaching it in schools. Every person has the right to their own religion. School is not the place. If parents want a child to practice a certain religion then it is the responsibility of the parent to teach it or take them to the church where it is being taught. I don't think it has a place in schools.

7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

Ha! That made me laugh.

Anyway I find it odd that they even had to "win" the right to distribute their materials in the first place.

But then again, these people are clearly agents in the War on Christianity, so...

8. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

If there's one thing worse than a Christian shoving their beliefs down others' throats, it's an atheist. And these are kids. Young children. Both groups AND the school should all be ashamed of themselves.

9. genghis

genghis New Member

I guess that unassailable logic is why we'd never hear about Christians getting upset about Islam, Wicca or Satanism or atheism. Since they're all really fairy tales, Christians have no reason oppose them.